Star of Indiana Question

azul

First off it's the off season and I'm bored lol.

But anyways back on topic. I was at one of my high school bands teaching and I made the comment that they needed to rip my face off. The band director chuckled and said to me "Only Star was able to ever do that to me". He marched in the early 90s so at the end of Stars reign.

The question is did Star only use G bugles or did they swtich to Bb at some point? Because this was at a point in time when DCI was still majority on G but some were making the switch to Bb so there was plenty of room for comparison then as opposed to now.

Just out of curiousity since I wasn't exposed to corps until Poineer was the only Div 1/World Class corps with Gs. Don't want to start any flaming of sorts.

But anyways back on topic. I was at one of my high school bands teaching and I made the comment that they needed to rip my face off. The band director chuckled and said to me "Only Star was able to ever do that to me". He marched in the early 90s so at the end of Stars reign.

The question is did Star only use G bugles or did they swtich to Bb at some point? Because this was at a point in time when DCI was still majority on G but some were making the switch to Bb so there was plenty of room for comparison then as opposed to now.

Just out of curiousity since I wasn't exposed to corps until Poineer was the only Div 1/World Class corps with Gs. Don't want to start any flaming of sorts.

DCI was G-only through the 1999 season. First year of multi-key was 2000. Star's competitive existence was entirely during the G era.

They should have only used G bugles because at the time of their existence that was the only horn allowed.

Really? Because according to what I've learned Bluecoats were using Bb by the early 90s already.

Thanks for the answer though

Really? Because according to what I've learned Bluecoats were using Bb by the early 90s already.

No, Bb's were only legalized for the 2000 season and beyond.

Star, if I remember right, even marched on 2-valve G's for most if not all of their drum corps existence.

Mike

No, Bb's were only legalized for the 2000 season and beyond.

Star, if I remember right, even marched on 2-valve G's for most if not all of their drum corps existence.

Mike

Yep. They used the same King 2-valve G bugles every year.

• Like 1

Nope....you're confusing 3 valve G horns with 3 valve Bb horns. 3 valves were legalized starting with the 1990 season....but they still had to be G.

Star was on the same set of 2 valved G Kings in 93 as they were in 85.

They were not.

yes as stated earlier, the Bluecoats switched to the 3 valve G bugles starting in 1990 with Contras and lead Baritones. then they added another section in 1991, and the rest of the horn line in 1992 as per the rules which stated you could add a section each year from 1990-1992 and could add in the contras at any time during that period. The bluecoats did not switch to Bb horns until 2001 at the earliest and I think it may have even been 2002 before they actually switched. BD & Cadets were the only corps that used the Bb in 2000 which was the first year they were allowed.