Star of Indiana Question

azul

The only Bb horns used before 2000 were those convertible Yamaha tubas with the horizontal valves. They were originally manufactured as Bb tubas, but they all used an extension on the tuning slide to make them G horns. I remember seeing one of those at Crossmen camps in '93, and I'm pretty sure they used it in '92 and possibly before. That may have been the prototype, before Yamaha started offering them for sale to the corps. Cadets used them in '93 and for a few years after, and Crown bought a set of them in '96.

I suspect the OP is thinking of the first year of Brass Theatre, when what used to be Star of Indiana marched with both B-flat and G horns. I don't remember exactly what they did the second year.

I asked some of the horn players what it was like switching off during the show. (The pieces originally done of the field were played on the G bugles.) I was told that going from G to B-flat was no problem, but going from B-flat back to G during the show was an effort because the G bugles were not as easy to play.

Yep. They used the same King 2-valve G bugles every year.

I could have sworn I saw 3 valves horns in '93

I also thought Glassmen got the 2 valve contras from Star, which they used till they switched to Bb in '01? (I cant remember)

The only Bb horns used before 2000 were those convertible Yamaha tubas with the horizontal valves. They were originally manufactured as Bb tubas, but they all used an extension on the tuning slide to make them G horns. I remember seeing one of those at Crossmen camps in '93, and I'm pretty sure they used it in '92 and possibly before. That may have been the prototype, before Yamaha started offering them for sale to the corps. Cadets used them in '93 and for a few years after, and Crown bought a set of them in '96.

I probably marched on of those same horns you saw in '93 when I marched in '97....they were so crappy, but I got tendinitis in my wrists on tour so I couldnt hold the Kanstul.

Yes, the corps who supposedly had an endless supply of money marched the same horns for all nine years of their existence and sounded great.

As has been covered we used the same line of King G bugles from 1985-1993 of the drum corps years.

I thought they played great and loved my King G two valve Mellophone!!!!!

I will also add that I did enjoy playing the 204 Yamaha F Mellophone with the combination of a Hammond 5 MPV mouthpiece:)

It's amazing what you can do when you buy quality equipment and take very, very good care of it.

The King 2 valve G bugles were at Star Hall the very first day of the very first camp. You had to wear gloves to pick them up AT ALL TIMES.

And the very amazing Eric Lund was the "doctor" who took care of anything that needed repairs.

Same horns for the duration of the corps. And, yes, they sounded great and were fun to play. (But I'll give most of the credit for the great sound to the amazing musicians that played them!)

Cheers!

Karen

Yes, the corps who supposedly had an endless supply of money marched the same horns for all nine years of their existence and sounded great.

They could not resell their horns to marching bands every year like today's corps are able to do. That is what allows for new horns (and drums) every year.

The King 2 valve G bugles were at Star Hall the very first day of the very first camp. You had to wear gloves to pick them up AT ALL TIMES.

Y'know...I STILL put on my gloves to handle any horn (on the field...in a concert setting it's different). The only time I played my soprano barehanded was the 07 alum corps....and that felt soooo strange!

I thought those ropes on your contras weren't entirely for decoration as time went on, tho...the K-90 DID have a rep for braces breaking.

Oh wow! What a cool feeling to know the horn I played in Star in 87 was also on the field to win a championship in 91 and also helped slay the b#*%& Medea in 93! :tongue: