What happens when an Open Class beats a World Class?

KAW

2002, last time it happened...obviously Magic was an anomoly

D2/3 finals:

Magic 99.05

Cap Reg 96.5

mandarins 95.8

quarterfinals for those three corps:

Magic 87.15

Capital Regiment 79.3

Mandarins 78.05

12-17 points. so 20 wasn't far off

2001 D2/3 finals:

manadarins 97.8

Seattle 96.7

Spartans 93.95

Cap Reg 92.9

Patriots 92.5

quarters:

Mandarins 80.85

Seattle 79.35

Spartans 73.8

Cap Reg 73.45

Patriots 72.6

17-20 points.

Are we feeling pretty good about the 20 point difference between Open and World? I'd be really curious if there was some indicator of where the Open Class corps fit into overall scores before going into Prelims. It would suck to be a corps that's slotted for semis and an open class corps sneaks up on you out of nowhere!

Point taken.

1) if a WC corps is beaten by an OC corps, then, they should be relegated to Open Class until such time that they can compete in their own classification

2) if an OC corps beats a WC corps, they should be relegated to WC. If they have the membership and design talent to achieve success in World Class, they should be in World Class.

The "but there are expenses needed to tour in WC" argument doesn't hold in my opinion, if we're overlooking the financial detriment to WC corps losing competitively to OC corps. Why do we need this kumbya nonsense of "oh look at that: OC corps really can be as good as WC corps" if ultimately the end result is meaningless anyway?

An OC corps capable of competing in WC has every opportunity to compete with WC corps, it's really simple: join World Class and enjoy competing against World Class corps. If an OC corps has no intentions of making the financial or performance commitments necessary to be World Class, then IMO they should stay in OC. If DCA corps can beat DCI WC corps should they also compete in Quarters? What about BOA bands?

Are you kidding me? Fair competition is what life is about. If an OC corps beats a WC corps, then the judges thought they were better. They should have NO obligation to move to WC nor should the WC corps that got beat be moved down to OC. This is just a ridiculous statement.

Despite what you THINK, OC corps HAVE different budgets -ones that hopefully allow for long term survival, and also have kids that may not be able to tour as long as a typical WC corps does. I love opening up the competition. It will be good for everyone.

Thanks.

Edit because I can't spell!

Edited by Spartans87

In regards to the same organization having two corps with the possibility of making Finals- I am under the impression of so be it, or if it happens then, OK.

Bottom Line....I see SCV Cadets and Blue Devils B, simply as those organizations entrant in Open Class. (Throw Blue Devils C in there too....although those kids win 1st place for effort ...and for some people cuteness every time). If BDB or SCVC is for developmental purposes. I dont see how its any different then kids going to their "dream corps" after gaining some experience elsewhere. Also, I dont see how it is different than a kid who wants to age out in Open Class. "Want by the kid", being the key phrase.

I think the bottom line to both- its another corps in California that allows kids to march. Thats what really matters.

I appluad the efforts by DCI to look at prelims differently, and allow competition among all corps. I agree with some prior posts that if an Open Class corps, beats another World Class, then it is simply that- nothing else. Rules apply for payments etc- yes thats important. But no changing of classes and anything beyond. If an organization is staying true to Open Class due to their charter, and have no intention of ever moving to World- then it is a victory they can keep in their lore/history. The reward- Its the experience of that victory that Alumni talk about at reunions- We all have that one story, from that year.....

If the corps has intentions on moving to World at some point- then of course, carry that momentum. Hopefully that victory increases donations, members, hype, and all the great things that make a great World Class corps.

here is a question that sort of throws a wrench in the WC/OC tour model....isn't Jersey surf a open class corps in size and touring model, yet competes in world class?

here is a question that sort of throws a wrench in the WC/OC tour model....isn't Jersey surf a open class corps in size and touring model, yet competes in world class?

A good point.

Edited by AlexL

Would one of the other "Dino's" (Mr. Boo? :-) please refresh my old Dino brain ...

Back when DCI started, there were only Prelims and Finals for all corps (excluding All Girls), right?

Or was there also a "B-Corps Championship"?

When did the marketing hype happen to break off the B-Corps Div. 2/3?

Then there was more marketing hype to rename to Open/World. When was that?

So it seems to me like DCI is "returning to it's roots" with the "free-for-all" format ... With the exception that some of the smaller corps can compete for their own Championship.

Also, what would stop Pioneer from competiting/winning Open, and then moving on to compete in World?

New format = doesn't make sense to me.

no they are a WC corps that competes the regional touring model as approved by the BOD.

and whats an OC corps in size? BDB looked pretty ###### big

Would one of the other "Dino's" (Mr. Boo? :-) please refresh my old Dino brain ...

Back when DCI started, there were only Prelims and Finals for all corps (excluding All Girls), right?

Or was there also a "B-Corps Championship"?

When did the marketing hype happen to break off the B-Corps Div. 2/3?

Then there was more marketing hype to rename to Open/World. When was that?

So it seems to me like DCI is "returning to it's roots" with the "free-for-all" format ... With the exception that some of the smaller corps can compete for their own Championship.

Also, what would stop Pioneer from competiting/winning Open, and then moving on to compete in World?

New format = doesn't make sense to me.

75 i think was the first year for class A60/All Girl

Appearance fees, iirc, are larger for wc corps (aka not zero). This is why youve got corps like Pio, and Jersey, that would probably fit better in open (and not just in regards to placement) but have moved their way up into world.