If you had it your way...

Then we could announce the Finals scores a week later, to REALLY add to the suspense. :lol:

Seriously.... the "draw within groupings" idea sounds like it might be a really good compromise between the current system and the old "total blind draw" system.

So ... I've thought about this topic a lot ... and I have to ask the question that in this day and age and with the current composition of the number of corps that compete in Class A and Open Class, why is a Prelim contest needed any more? Other than DCA (the Corps) getting revenue from another ticket sale at Prelims, I just don't see a need if all that is being done is eliminating one or two corps ...

Long gone are the days of the 2-day VFW/AL Prelims format featuring 30-50 corps ... I'm sure the staffs would love to concentrate on rehearsing for a single performance rather than two on the weekend ...

By eliminating Prelims for both classes, we open up the weekend to other options for Mini and Alumni, which have been expressed throughout this thread ... eliminating Prelims also allows seeding to make sense (IMO) ...

Friday

Day - corps arrive/rehearse

Evening - I&E - the start time can be moved back to 7:00 from 5:00 allowing for more to arrive and participate

Lete Evening - Block Party – no pressure, all out fun (works for Roch - not sure about Annapolis and beyond)

Saturday

11:00 – WDCHOF Luncheon

2:00 pm – Mini Corps Championship (gives them their own venue)

7:00 pm – Class A Championship

Sunday

12:00 – Alumni Spectacular (gets them out of the 10:00 start)

7:00 pm – Open Class Championship

Again ... just thoughts like everyone else has expressed ... sorry if I missed any significant components ... I come from the era of Prelims and Finals held on a single day ... but, with all the concerns and ideas posted to enhance the "total" DCA weekend - and all the seeding pros/cons, I just don't see the need to have prelims in this day and age ... one and done ... give everybody their own space ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then we could announce the Finals scores a week later, to REALLY add to the suspense. :lol:

Seriously.... the "draw within groupings" idea sounds like it might be a really good compromise between the current system and the old "total blind draw" system.

But on the other part, I'm fine with the current system of announcing all the scores as we go at Prelims. I think it would be much less confusing to any new fans at the show.... the existing drum corps fans might "get" why the top scores are being witheld.... but anyone new to the scene might be wondering "why are they announcing some scores, but not the rest?" And the less a PA announcer has to explain stuff, the better off we all are. Trust me on that one. :lol:

And I gotta be honest.... and this is a topic for another thread... or another lifetime...LOL... without new fans, the drum corps activity possibly will be a memory sooner than we'd like it to be.

On the topic of announcing Prelims scores, (I know this has nothing to do with the "format" of the weekend), but can we PLEASE get a board that updates the scores as they are announced and continues to be updated throughout the day? Heaven forbid I'm not sporting my program and a pen at all times in case a score is announced and I miss it. Then we'd be able to see who's "on the bubble" and what the order is. We've had these things in the past. In Scranton, we had posters hung up inside the stadium. In Allentown, we had a big board down at field level. In this day and age, is it ridiculous to think that the updates could be posted on the giant video monitor?! Even if they can't for some reason, the posters in the stadium would suit me just fine.

So ... I've thought about this topic a lot ... and I have to ask the question that in this day and age and with the current composition of the number of corps that compete in Class A and Open Class, why is a Prelim contest needed any more? Other than DCA (the Corps) getting revenue from another ticket sale at Prelims, I just don't see a need if all that is being done is eliminating one or two corps ...

Long gone are the days of the 2-day VFW/AL Prelims format featuring 30-50 corps ... I'm sure the staffs would love to concentrate on rehearsing for a single performance rather than two on the weekend ...

By eliminating Prelims for both classes, we open up the weekend to other options for Mini and Alumni, which have been expressed throughout this thread ... eliminating Prelims also allows seeding to make sense (IMO) ...

Friday

Evening - I&E - the start time can be moved back to 7:00 from 5:00 allowing for more to arrive and participate

Lete Evening - Block Party – no pressure, all out fun (works for Roch - not sure about Annapolis and beyond)

Saturday

Sunday

Again ... just thoughts like everyone else has expressed ... sorry if I missed any significant components ... I come from the era of Prelims and Finals held on a single day ... but, with all the concerns and ideas posted to enhance the "total" DCA weekend - and all the seeding pros/cons, I just don't see the need to have prelims in this day and age ... one and done ... give everybody their own space ...

I like it. Instead of a Preliminary Competition, just take the average of the scores the corps have received throughout the season. The best 10 corps with the highest over all score average get to compete in championships. (for corps scoring the same averages, the corps who has been competing longer in the season is moved above the less exposed corps.) This gives people more time to enjoy the weekend and a bigger motivator for corps to perform better through out the season.

From what I remember, corps score averages started around the beginning of August to determine their placement times for the Preliminary Contest. Instead of beating a horse to death, take the first show score and all following scores up until the last contest before Finals weekend and include that within the average.

Edited by Skydrummer9

I like it. Instead of a Preliminary Competition, just take the average of the scores the corps have received throughout the season. The best 10 corps with the highest over all score average get to compete in championships. (for corps scoring the same averages, the corps who has been competing longer in the season is moved above the less exposed corps.) This gives people more time to enjoy the weekend and a bigger motivator for corps to perform better through out the season.

Hi Jimmy ... just to clarify ... I'm not advocating eliminating any corps from the Championship ... just have a single Championship vs. Prelims and Finals ... see you at Sky Alumni in January ...

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Andy, these are some interesting ideas.

On the Alumni thing.... I still feel that a later start time could be a potential health issue for the members of the alumni corps, if those corps go on during the heat of the day at a warmer-weather site like Annapolis.

It is not at all uncommon to have 90-degree temperatures in Annapolis on Labor Day weekend.

On the Alumni thing.... I still feel that a later start time could be a potential health issue for the members of the alumni corps, if those corps go on during the heat of the day at a warmer-weather site like Annapolis.

It is not at all uncommon to have 90-degree temperatures in Annapolis on Labor Day weekend.

Speaking as one who has performed in the early am at the Alumni show, I'd rather take the couple of extra hours sleep in the morning and hydrate myself for the performance ... and yes, I'm one of those 60 something people ... moving it back an hour or two could possibly help attendance as well ...

With all due respect to everyone regarding the health of those in the alumni corps, clearly you've not attended an afternoon rehearsal in Kingston, or Lewisburg, or Clifton. True enough, the show is in the cool of the evening, but the rehearsals on those afternoons can be rather brutal - and everyone seems to make it through without too much trouble.

As I understand it, the early start time for the alumni show is due to the field having to be emptied, cleaned, and set up for the night show. Fine. If that's the reason, then it's valid. But, if it can be started later for the benefit of the audience, than that's equally valid - especially if it means more paying butts in the seats.

Either way, the alumni corps will be there; they'll perform; and they'll put on a he** of a show.

On the topic of announcing Prelims scores, (I know this has nothing to do with the "format" of the weekend), but can we PLEASE get a board that updates the scores as they are announced and continues to be updated throughout the day? Heaven forbid I'm not sporting my program and a pen at all times in case a score is announced and I miss it. Then we'd be able to see who's "on the bubble" and what the order is. We've had these things in the past. In Scranton, we had posters hung up inside the stadium. In Allentown, we had a big board down at field level. In this day and age, is it ridiculous to think that the updates could be posted on the giant video monitor?! Even if they can't for some reason, the posters in the stadium would suit me just fine.

they could keep it up on the Jumbotron,..................insert the other material as needed,.......................

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

This is a set of ideas to be seriously considered,.......................both blocks of corps could even PLAN to attend the other championship....................a serious slot for mini corps,.............a better start time for the alumni show,.............all of these thoughts have the factor of getting more butts in seats as a real possibility,.............

The competitive participants would lose the ability to attend or participate in a mini-corps....