If you had it your way...

Hi Jimmy ... just to clarify ... I'm not advocating eliminating any corps from the Championship ... just have a single Championship vs. Prelims and Finals ... see you at Sky Alumni in January ...

:-)

Neither am I by any means. All I meant was that there are so many corps today it might be a little more fair for all corps instead of those who have a history of being on top. It seems logical to me that corps should have an average score and a by-week the last weekend before championships so the corps could be placed accordingly for Finals. Reason for the by-week is that the corps that do qualify will have one full weekend to completely clean EVERYTHING they need to to have the best possible show during the championship competition. Also, it will save corps who know ahead of time that they won't be able to qualify for finals throughout the season the time and money traveling all the way to the championship venue just to be turned away during prelims... See ya in January good sir.

B-)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither am I by any means. All I meant was that there are so many corps today it might be a little more fair for all corps instead of those who have a history of being on top. It seems logical to me that corps should have an average score and a by-week the last weekend before championships so the corps could be placed accordingly for Finals. Reason for the by-week is that the corps that do qualify will have one full weekend to completely clean EVERYTHING they need to to have the best possible show during the championship competition. Also, it will save corps who know ahead of time that they won't be able to qualify for finals throughout the season the time and money traveling all the way to the championship venue just to be turned away during prelims... See ya in January good sir.

B-)

I say let all the corps that want to come compete in the championships for whatever catagory............if that is 10, 15 or whatever, so be it!

B-)

you have to plan for traveling and hotels long before the last weekend of the season.

B-)

I really like the concept of an average score, and it does help make fair in my opinion. But for everyone who is relying on DCI sanctioned shows and scores to determine their seeding- this is nearly impossible. West Coast corps in particular. So maybe the average score concept could work- but with some tweaking for the West Coast, Rockies, or Midweest guys who dont compete in DCA sanctioned shows until Prelims.

A side note to the lottery suggestion a few pages back.... Allow Renegades and Dream for example (or corps with a similiar situation) to be in the Top 5 lottery suggested for Prelims. This, if their score at the time of their last show was Top 5 in Class A or Open Class rankings. Similiar situation meaning, they rely on the score of their last show, and don't compete past August- due to geographic limitations for show availability, or other legitimate reasons.

Again using Renegades and Dream as example: Those corps can be knocked out of the lottery, if a corps beats their score, after the same number of shows competed, at the same point (mid July) in the season.

If a corps has less shows competed, then the average score could somehow be worked in. Average score of where Dream was after their 4th show, if the competing corps had only 4 shows in their season. .

Edited by Dmlkmen

Or perhaps I could wear a sandwich board with the scores written on it and walk around the stadium periodically. :lol:

Oy!! That would be one helluva sandwich board. It would be great for us old guys sitting up near the top of the stands; we wouldn't need our glasses to read it.

Here's an idea I'll toss out to you (and you can toss it back). Let's make it interesting....

Drop the competing order idea. In other words...have a lottery to when each corps goes on for prelims. I think the way it is done now really gives the judges the idea of where to put each corps. Make the judges work too, they do get paid to do that. It's possible to see Bucs as the first corps on in prelims and Governaires the last. NOW.....this will also keep more fans in the seats from start to finish. How many people wait until the last 6 corps to go and watch the show? This way the "A" Class corps will get the same crowds as the Open. That to me sounds more fair for ALL corps.

Now I'll wait for all those knives to come flying at me...but remember you asked for ideas on this post!

I absolutely agree with this idea Keith. Why give the judges the option to slot the Corps by who they are which happens every year. Make them judge the show on the performance that is given that day and time.

Great discussion on the rest of the ideas given so far.

sometimes you guys talk like we never tried any other options... what happens today is the result of decades of trial and error... change happens because circumstances change - that's life and when necessary changes will be made, but I repeat myself over and over again

"If it ain't broke - don't fix it"

Attendance on Saturday night may not equal what it is presently getting with no Open Class corps...I totally respect the A corps, but I doubt that every one feels that way.

Donny

true,....................but would it improve attendance at what would be Open Class championships?,...............quite possibly,................and,...................maybe a little cheaper Class A championships price compared to the prelims price in an effort to attract a larger crowd than you might expect,....................or,..................... combine the Class A championships with the mini corps contest in place of the current prelims format, legitimizing the mini corps contest for real,..........or something,................

true,.............but nothing is perfect either,................thing can always improve, or evolve with the times and circumstances,..................ideas are worth exchanging, even from the armchair,..................IMO

Also, there are more corps springing up around the country who are going competitive that DCA needs to accommodated. Better to start reviewing all the options and drafting as many contingencies sooner than have an influx of non northeast competitive corps gun for the title. Not to mention the foreign corps who come in as well.