Des Plaines Vanguard...

They had Ludwig Classic G-D French Horns rigged with home-made sliders, with a crossbar and pullring (Archer-Epler Musketeers, independently, came up with a similar setup).

One of these still exists, in the collection of an Illinois associate of mine.

I'll have to ask what their last season was.

Their tribute site is here:

http://www.desplainesvanguard.com

</a>

Des Plaines was one of my favorite corps to compete against and some very cool people.

Edited by drmr27

...boy, they were a BEAST when I first saw 'em in '68...then in '69 I got to see 'em come off the line in Philly to with those mellos wailin' away into the West Side Story show, they were smaller, but still way wow! There's a midwest album that had them, Norwood, Royal Airs and Cavies on it...it was put out in '66 and my brother and I flat wore that thing out; Des Plains was amazing with that Hy Drietzer book!

cg

The screaming mellos in 69 were the intro into Aquarius for the OTL. Then the rest of the show was a mix of 68. West Side came later.

West Side came later.

And earlier. Ed Morrissey penned a very nice WSS medley which was their concert # in 65-66.

Edited by HornsUp

There were several "famous" drum corps people who were associated with Vanguard.

To name two:

Don Pesceone - DCI Executive Director from 1972 - 1994

Larry Rock - Grammy award winner who is still involved with producing the audio for the annual DCI CD's.

In South Milwaukee in 1973, Vanguard did their battle scene which left half the guard on the ground playing dead. The medics and EMT's on the sidelines came running out on the field. People in the stands were yelling "IT'S PART OF THE SHOW!!!"

Obviously, they were relieved that it was part of the show...but it was funny to watch!

Didn't they play music from West Side Story for several years?