Congrats Air Force Drum & Bugle Corps

slightly amusing story- my BIL was in the Marine corps D & BC 86-90, and got called back the following year during the Gulf War I think is was? When he reported to his local recruiter's office, the officer didn't even know what his class/designation (not sure what the lingo is) meant! When he explained that it was "Soprano Bugle" the officer about wet his pants laughing. Needless to say, my BIL didn't have to re-enlist. He took his talents to Rochester Crusaders, then Hawthorne Caballeros, then the Brigs.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slightly amusing story- my BIL was in the Marine corps D & BC 86-90, and got called back the following year during the Gulf War I think is was? When he reported to his local recruiter's office, the officer didn't even know what his class/designation (not sure what the lingo is) meant! When he explained that it was "Soprano Bugle" the officer about wet his pants laughing. Needless to say, my BIL didn't have to re-enlist. He took his talents to Rochester Crusaders, then Hawthorne Caballeros, then the Brigs.

Well...as a Marine his PRIMARY job was rifleman...

"Base Corps Part Deux":

The Lowry CO "Golden Eagles" were a "Student" drum corps. Much as the Kessler drum corps was. There were several "Permanant Party" guys that participated. The old Chanute corps was also a "Student" corps and I belive the NCO in charge came from the old USAFA "Enlisted" corps.

The Lackland AFB corps still exists. It has been around for a very long time. A couple of the old instructors (Way back when) were also from the "DC" corps and have long since retired. Ron DaSilva has done a great job of researching the "Militray" corps for the DCW "History" series. thumbup.gif

It is sad to recall that the two USAF "Enlisted" drum corps were disbanded due to "Budget Constraints". From what I have seen in the "Military Media" all of the USAF "Field Bands" are at risk for the same reasons... thumbdown.gif

I think I remember the Chanute student corps folding when I was still at Keesler.

Ahhh Lackland....they recruited for 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off....so of COURSE I arrived during the 2 off weeks!

My flight teamed up with the corps guys for duty one day...when they found I'd been in BD only a couple of months earlier, some of them just dropped their jaws in surprise.

Somehow, I knew you'd be posting here. :ph34r:

I just wish I didn't have to work that day so I could attend. Go Air Force :tongue:

I just wish I didn't have to work that day so I could attend. Go Air Force :tongue:

The Interservice show was in Colorado this year. Long road trip. :devil:

Next fall, it's in Annapolis....a bit closer to home for you and me!!!! :ph34r:

The Interservice show was in Colorado this year. Long road trip. :ph34r:

Next fall, it's in Annapolis....a bit closer to home for you and me!!!! :tongue:

Would it be possible (or even desirable) to schedule the inter-service contest in Annapolis in 2012, and make it a part of the DCA weekend?

I know I'd like to see them, but I'm certainly not going to drive all the way to Colorado Springs or to Annapolis just for that show.

Would it be possible (or even desirable) to schedule the inter-service contest in Annapolis in 2012, and make it a part of the DCA weekend?

I'm not speaking for anyone else here, but I don't think it would be possible.

The Interservice show is held the same day/weekend of the Navy/Air Force football game..... early October every year, alternating between Colorado Springs and Annapolis....... and those schedules are locked in.

"Reunions & Soloists":

Dave Fite is the "Other" soprano soloist on the olde Fleetwood double sided "Cadet" LP (& CD). Truman was a Master Seargent (E-7) in the USAF.

The next USAF reunion is 2011. I understand they are inviting "Other" (USAFA etc) USAF drum corps alumni to their gala.

I also sort of remember a few years back there was an attempt to have an "All USAF" Alumni corps. It never really got off the ground. The USAFA Alumni DID get together for an exibition at an DCA "Alumni Spectatcular" a few years ago, and a few mwmbers performed with the Cadet corps at a "Remembrance" ceromony held at the Academy.

Elphaba

Hey, Jim and Elphaba, thanks for the quick mentions of Bolling AFB drum corps reunions. The June 2011 reunion will be held in York, PA and the reunion committee voted to officially invite the early "enlisted" Academy corps members to join them. This is especially fitting since a number of the Bolling players were reassigned to the Academy when that unit was disbanded.

We're having mixed success in compiling a good list of former Academy enlisted corps members and would appreciate your help in contacting them.

If any of you reading this know of Academy enlisted corps members, please let them know they are invited to join us. They can PM me to get on our official mailing and invitation list. They can also check out our website Visit My Website for reunion details and more as they develop. It promises to be one of the best ever!

Thanks for any help and leads you can give us.

Tom, I don't believe Hightower was in the DC corps; perhaps the Academy.

Steve

Edited by sky

I'm not speaking for anyone else here, but I don't think it would be possible.

The Interservice show is held the same day/weekend of the Navy/Air Force football game..... early October every year, alternating between Colorado Springs and Annapolis....... and those schedules are locked in.

It's REALLY not possible as the midshipmen corps will be in Europe that weekend in 2012... a most unfortunate scheduling conflict...

It's REALLY not possible as the midshipmen corps will be in Europe that weekend in 2012... a most unfortunate scheduling conflict...

Yes, in Ireland.

Hopefully watching Navy's football team BEAT Notre Dame!!! :tongue:

The base corps you mention are different from the Blue Knights, tho. BK was a student corps (attached to the 3419th Student Squadron, IIRC), not a permanent party corps (although I remember the occasional outside guy marching with us). We had a pretty high turnover rate due to graduation and reassignment...I was there 6 months and saw the corps pretty much turn over membership by the time I "saluted out."

You can check out some of the former Keesler Blue Knights on their alum website. Includes Sam and me.

Keesler AFB Blue Knights I was there for over a year starting late '61 attending the Air Traffic Control Radar tech school and Sam was there in '84.

Edited by ScottyG