Our Obligation...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several (including myself) are posting suggestions on how to help but, so far, no one has posted what they are actually doing!

I'll add if someone else starts (I'll show you mine if you show me yours :tongue: )

OK, I'll bite:

• Driving several members 1,300 miles round trip each month to camps;
  • Cooking meals at camps;
  • Driving the airport runs at camps;
  • Helping rebuild the food and equipment truck trailers;
  • Managing the volunteer calendar for tour and recruiting other volunteers;
  • Did two - three weeks on the road selling souvies, driving all night, and helping with food service every summer for the last 15 seasons with three different corps;
  • Helped run a DCI show from 1997 - 2004.

Several (including myself) are posting suggestions on how to help but, so far, no one has posted what they are actually doing!

I'll add if someone else starts (I'll show you mine if you show me yours :tongue: )

Free advertising? Granted, it ain't much, but... it's Free Advertising of a quality level shown below! :tongue:

dcpixvcovers2.jpg

Me? Lose interest, spend my money elsewhere. :tongue:

May I join your club? I would like to get in before it gets crowded. :ph34r:

What have I done, other than post on these boards day and night, grousing and complaining? Hmm.. let me think.....

Stood out in a food truck at 5 A.M. in the morning, in the freezing cold, scraping burnt-on oatmeal from a stock pot. The person who had used the stock pot the last time had decided not to clean it. When oatmeal burns, it gets hard as concrete. And there was no running water at that school, so we had to lug it in to the food truck. I think I went through about 5 Brillo pads that morning. I have sworn off oatmeal since then.....

Stood out in the broiling heat on the Alamodone parking lot, and served tuna-fish sandwiches. If you've never been to San Antonio in July, and stood on blacktop for 4 hours in the mid-day son - well, you don't know what it feels to be slow-roasted.

Got up at 4:30 to make pancakes, on the morning before Finals. I and one other grilled about 250 pancakes in the back lot of a high school, somewhere in Indiana.

Got up at 6 A.M. to crack about 300 eggs, and scrambled them in an undersized home-economics classroom, somewhere in South Texas. (In Texas, volunteer organizations cannot use the school cafeteria; it is strickly off limits, for health code reasons. So if you are lucky enough to get access to a high school, the best you can hope for is the home economics room. Those stoves could barely heat the eggs. No, no one contracted salmonella.)

But hey, I had it easy. During my son's last tour, one of the parents was injured in a kitchen accident, and had to go to the hospital.

I've done my bit for king and country. I considered it a great honor to serve, in whatever way I could. And I realize that there are those who have done a lot more. No one forced me to do what I did, and I don't expect any recognition. Everything I have done was out of my own volition. I think that probably most of those on this board will share my attitude.

As I have grown older, I realize that one of the few things that gives me any sense of satisfaction, is serving others.