New York Skyliners Alumni Announce 2011 OPEN HOUSE

Written by Charles Vayda, Public Relations, NY Skyliners Alumni (Oct 3, 2010)

The New York Skyliners Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps is pleased to announce an Open House to formally usher in the start of the 2011 season.

Mark your calendar to come visit us in our new home for some food and liquid (the kind you like) refreshments!

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24, NOON-5PM

VFW MEMORIAL POST 4591

513 VETERANS PLACE, HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ 07604-2423

(201) 288-1112

The corps is anxiously looking forward to a new and exciting season and prospective new members are encouraged and welcomed in all sections - brass, percussion, and guard. The membership drive is already underway as could be witnessed by the first rehearsal of the fall which was well attended and included many new faces already getting acclimated. The corps will introduce a new show opener and closer this year which should delight all fans.

The horn-line and drum-line are already hard at work on the new opening fanfare of "Manhattan Towers", used by the Skyliners back in 1961/1968 which leads into the new OTL - "Aquarius", hit song from the musical "Hair", a Hy Dreitzer resurrected arrangement from the 1969/1970 corps. This tune requires and this year corps will feature a full, "Pepe" endorsed French Horn section. For you FH players out there, you don't want to miss this opportunity. We got the Horns if you got the Lips !

This year, the Skyliners would like to welcome back Tommy Swan to the instructional staff. A legend in the activity, "Bucky" will add a new level of focus and musicianship which will help to greatly improve the overall brass sound. On the percussion side, the corps is pleased to announce that renowned snare instructor/judge John Flowers will be a member of next year's snare line. A legendary innovator in both the visual and voicing aspect of percussion, his presence will serve to enhance the already talented and much envied snare line. We appreciate and welcome all those that simply want to come down to contribute to both the sound and our mission, and to participate in the 'SKYLINER' experience.

In order to improve the corps visual performance and to utilize the grand expanse of our new home, SKY will embark on a new indoor marching program designed to get everyone on the same 'foot'. Under the tutelage of ex-Cadet Greg Cinzio, the corps will practice M&M basics starting in November. The 'Box' will become an integral part of each indoor, off-season rehearsal. This is designed to achieve a consistent look and feel to the corps and everyone's individual performance.

Carl Ruocco, staff coordinator has announced the instructional team for 2011 as follows:

Brass

Joe "JD" Jacobs, caption head

Bill Moore, arranger

John "Grass "Urspruch

Tom "Bucky" Swan

Bob Farrell

Percussion

Wes Myers, caption head

Bob "Jomba" O'Connor

Jack Murray

Joe Fontana

Visual

Frank Rogers, designer

Frank Koch

Greg Cinzio

The Skyliners Alumni corps will be celebrating its 18th season in 2011 and is sponsored by AL Post 1523 Staten Island NY and VFW Post 4591 Hasbrouck Heights NJ. The corps continues its mission of providing an outlet for those wishing to be a part of traditional drum and bugle corps by performing in a variety of parades and exhibitions while maintaining a twice a month rehearsal schedule. For more information, complete rehearsal/performance schedule, corps history, pictures and audio/video of the corps, please visit our website at

http://www.skyalumni.org/ or contact our corps director Rich Evans at director@skyalumni.org

Edited by cvayda

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... it'll be nice to see (and hear) those French horns again!!

I would love to play Aquarius!

Fran, you're welcome to sit in - bring a mouthpiece.

It's been so long, I've forgotten what a mouthpiece looks like. LOL.

I wish I could.... but I think my horn-playing days, for all intents and purposes, are done.

Not sure they ever even started. :tongue:

It's been so long, I've forgotten what a mouthpiece looks like. LOL.

I wish I could.... but I think my horn-playing days, for all intents and purposes, are done.

Not sure they ever even started. :tongue:

Fran - we were contemplating a special Hawaiian Shirt brigade as part of the Honor Guard :tongue:

Open House :ph34r: I can't wait and I am bringing Hoffy with me :devil: . That is two additional CONTRA BOYS :tongue:

Written by Charles Vayda, Public Relations, NY Skyliners Alumni (Oct 3, 2010)

The New York Skyliners Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps is pleased to announce an Open House to formally usher in the start of the 2011 season.

Mark your calendar to come visit us in our new home for some food and liquid (the kind you like) refreshments!

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24, NOON-5PM

VFW MEMORIAL POST 4591

513 VETERANS PLACE, HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ 07604-2423

(201) 288-1112

The corps is anxiously looking forward to a new and exciting season and prospective new members are encouraged and welcomed in all sections - brass, percussion, and guard. The membership drive is already underway as could be witnessed by the first rehearsal of the fall which was well attended and included many new faces already getting acclimated. The corps will introduce a new show opener and closer this year which should delight all fans.

The horn-line and drum-line are already hard at work on the new opening fanfare of "Manhattan Towers", used by the Skyliners back in 1961/1968 which leads into the new OTL - "Aquarius", hit song from the musical "Hair", a Hy Dreitzer resurrected arrangement from the 1969/1970 corps. This tune requires and this year corps will feature a full, "Pepe" endorsed French Horn section. For you FH players out there, you don't want to miss this opportunity. We got the Horns if you got the Lips !

This year, the Skyliners would like to welcome back Tommy Swan to the instructional staff. A legend in the activity, "Bucky" will add a new level of focus and musicianship which will help to greatly improve the overall brass sound. On the percussion side, the corps is pleased to announce that renowned snare instructor/judge John Flowers will be a member of next year's snare line. A legendary innovator in both the visual and voicing aspect of percussion, his presence will serve to enhance the already talented and much envied snare line. We appreciate and welcome all those that simply want to come down to contribute to both the sound and our mission, and to participate in the 'SKYLINER' experience.

In order to improve the corps visual performance and to utilize the grand expanse of our new home, SKY will embark on a new indoor marching program designed to get everyone on the same 'foot'. Under the tutelage of ex-Cadet Greg Cinzio, the corps will practice M&M basics starting in November. The 'Box' will become an integral part of each indoor, off-season rehearsal. This is designed to achieve a consistent look and feel to the corps and everyone's individual performance.

Carl Ruocco, staff coordinator has announced the instructional team for 2011 as follows:

Brass

Joe "JD" Jacobs, caption head

Bill Moore, arranger

John "Grass "Urspruch

Tom "Bucky" Swan

Bob Farrell

Percussion

Wes Myers, caption head

Bob "Jomba" O'Connor

Jack Murray

Joe Fontana

Visual

Frank Rogers, designer

Frank Koch

Greg Cinzio

The Skyliners Alumni corps will be celebrating its 18th season in 2011 and is sponsored by AL Post 1523 Staten Island NY and VFW Post 4591 Hasbrouck Heights NJ. The corps continues its mission of providing an outlet for those wishing to be a part of traditional drum and bugle corps by performing in a variety of parades and exhibitions while maintaining a twice a month rehearsal schedule. For more information, complete rehearsal/performance schedule, corps history, pictures and audio/video of the corps, please visit our website at

http://www.skyalumni.org/ or contact our corps director Rich Evans at director@skyalumni.org

Sweet. I can not wait. How about you???