Finals attendance from '95 to '07

#2 - There was a lot of uncertainty regarding the location of this event. DCI had an agreement to use what is now called FedEx Field in Washington - until the Washington Redskins were sold to Daniel Snyder who didn't want anything to do with this marching band thing messing up his newly acquired field. DCI had to scramble and ending up moving to College Park around March or April. I have no doubt that ticket sales were effected.

Other than that, there was nothing wrong with College Park. It was a nice venue and a great show.

Thanks, wasn't following DC then and didn't know DCI Finals were that close. Would rather go to College Park than try to work that fiasco around Washington, DC. Thought ticket sales would be higher in the Northeast so probably the "where do we go" mess affected things. Especially around DC/Baltimore area. :tongue:

Hey lets go to (old) Memorial Stadium in downtown Baltimore!! :tongue::tongue: (Been there, done that for corps shows and would never drive to it.)

Finally found an (unblocked site) and FedEx in Landover would not have been that bad. Have been to Caps games and worst part is sitting in traffic waiting to get to the beltway..... But having to go to RFK downtown would have been a mess. Got lost coming out of a Stones concert there in the early 90s and had a homeless person tell me how to get to I-95. And gas stations in the area closed by midnight....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks, wasn't following DC then and didn't know DCI Finals were that close. Would rather go to College Park than try to work that fiasco around Washington, DC. Thought ticket sales would be higher in the Northeast so probably the "where do we go" mess affected things. Especially around DC/Baltimore area. :tongue:

Hey lets go to (old) Memorial Stadium in downtown Baltimore!! :tongue::tongue: (Been there, done that for corps shows and would never drive to it.)

Finally found an (unblocked site) and FedEx in Landover would not have been that bad. Have been to Caps games and worst part is sitting in traffic waiting to get to the beltway..... But having to go to RFK downtown would have been a mess. Got lost coming out of a Stones concert there in the early 90s and had a homeless person tell me how to get to I-95. And gas stations in the area closed by midnight....

it was originally going to be in fed ex - but moved to UofM Byrd Stadium. Traffic issues were the same regardless because traffic sucks around the beltway and the DC area. Also there was considerable difficulty finding housing for corps, and some actually stayed in southern PA. I personally loved having the show at univ of Maryland, but that's because the stadium is like 5 minutes from my house.

Thought I'd try to address some of the location comments for easier clarification (no sense building a chart of this).

EAST

• Buffalo, 19,100
    Col Park, 18,423
    Buffalo, 16,406
    Foxboro, 20,542
    Average = 18,617

MIDWEST

• Madison, 19,931
    Madison, 20,230
    Madison, 21,232
    Average = 20,464

SOUTH

• Orlando, 13,771
    Orlando, 13,773
    Orlando, 12,693
    Orlando, 18,865
    Average = 14,775

WEST

• Denver, 22,047
    Pasadena, 24,309
    Average = 23,178

Edited by garfield

Man, it really sucks that all we get in the South is Orlando for comparisons sake. :tongue:

the DCI community just doesn't care for Florida, there were issues over Miami in 83.

But if I recall Georgia Tech was well received in 84.

MIDWEST

• Madison, 19,931
    Madison, 20,230
    Madison, 21,232
    Average = 20,464

Well... Don't I fell dumber than usual. I obviously tracked the wrong way. Madison wasn't in the dips. It was amazingly consistent.

That correction nothwithstanding, I stand by my assertion that DCP discussion generally doesn't reflect drum corps reality. I just have one fewer data point on which to rely.

HH

Nah. 95 was still in the G Bugle days. I think most people would agree that the single most dividing line between "then" and "now" would be the G to Bb transition.

amps and electronics

Some people think that the low attendance numbers over the last few years has primarily to do with show design and the "audience disapproval" of it, and these numbers show otherwise. I think that was his point.

i think it's a combination. we had a recession in the 70s and early 80s, and attendance was higher then.

s

Bottom three sites: Orlando, Buffalo and College Park. Orlando had the 3 Hs: heat, humidity and homies (aka street gangs). Buffalo has that wonderful rust belt reputation.

What the Hell was off with College Park? Have in-laws of in-laws that went to UofM and wondering what was the problem there?

the last minute switch from DC thanks to the Skins owner. Ok not last minute, but more like the Indy to Bloom switch

How do these numbers show anything about that?

1. There are no numbers for the last three championships on this graph.

2. Even if there were, the graph says nothing about audience opinion of show design.

very true