saying goodbye

I think that you may be missing the point. No interest, no money. No money, no corps.

Well, there clearly is still enough interest. Thousands of people at Finals, sold-out shows, corps still having 300 kids coming to auditions every year, fighting it out for spots. Yeah, looks like there's still interest in DCI. And I'm fine with it, because I still love it.

It was asked in another thread if you could really walk away from drum corps completely. I have thought long and hard about that. I have to say yes. It has been a great ride, but the car I am in now is just not working for me. I think the shows are extremely well done, but very boring, over used keys and amps that make it hard to even hear the corps. I gave the amps a chance their first year and wasn't too fond of them but could live with it. I gave voice a chance and then heard Yowza. One more straw on the camels back. Then came the hornline doubling synths. I just can't enjoy it anymore and find that I won't be attending shows any further, and didn't at all in 2010. With that said I really can't in any sense of honesty come on here and debate the shows or their direction any longer. I will miss drum corps but I am saying goodbye to it. Also want to thank a lot of you for intelligent conversation and spirited debates. It was fun, but now it is over. I only wish you all well.

Yo dude, I know you are going to read this. Its your choice to voice your feelings, thats what makes DCP great but! Did you just call the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS boring. I am sorry to say I really dont know where all the other Corps are going, there direction, there style, there imprint on this activity we call Drum Corps but I can tell you this , THE 2010 MADISON SCOUTS were not boring. You didnt like the 20 Contras on the field marching there ##### off, that ending to SLAUGHTER, or for that matter the ending of Rhapsody in Blue, that guard. Those uniforms with the neckerchiefs for finals, you really dont want to see those uniforms with spats on the field next year? Did I just say SPATS! Our Corps is going to make you want to come see us, a must see Corps, we will be better and we are listening to the fans. 2011 is a new year, and competitivly 10th is not good enough for the MADISON SCOUTS. We know it and so should everyone else top to bottom, all Corps are put on notice that we are bringing our best just like last year. We as a group are working hard to keep this activity relevant. You want Drum Corps, the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS gave you Drum Corps. The 2011 product will just be building on that foundation. I cant talk for the other Drum Corps in DCI but I can for the MADISON SCOUTS in that we dont want you to go and we are going to work our ##### off in 2011 to make your time worth it. I hope all the other Corps follow. I hope to be seeing you agian.

p.s.- I bet you a case of beer that PIONEER will be alot better this year? Maybe even semis in the next 2 years. Now thats something to look forward to. GO PIONEER!

Long live The MADISON SCOUTS!

what about DCA?

Agreedl DCA still has that big brassy sound that most of us love. It's younger (membership) than it was in the past, innovative but still using brass/percussion music.

what about DCA?

I will continue to make the long trek to DCA finals weekend. Much more bang for my limited buck.

Yo dude, I know you are going to read this. Its your choice to voice your feelings, thats what makes DCP great but! Did you just call the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS boring. I am sorry to say I really dont know where all the other Corps are going, there direction, there style, there imprint on this activity we call Drum Corps but I can tell you this , THE 2010 MADISON SCOUTS were not boring. You didnt like the 20 Contras on the field marching there ##### off, that ending to SLAUGHTER, or for that matter the ending of Rhapsody in Blue, that guard. Those uniforms with the neckerchiefs for finals, you really dont want to see those uniforms with spats on the field next year? Did I just say SPATS! Our Corps is going to make you want to come see us, a must see Corps, we will be better and we are listening to the fans. 2011 is a new year, and competitivly 10th is not good enough for the MADISON SCOUTS. We know it and so should everyone else top to bottom, all Corps are put on notice that we are bringing our best just like last year. We as a group are working hard to keep this activity relevant. You want Drum Corps, the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS gave you Drum Corps. The 2011 product will just be building on that foundation. I cant talk for the other Drum Corps in DCI but I can for the MADISON SCOUTS in that we dont want you to go and we are going to work our ##### off in 2011 to make your time worth it. I hope all the other Corps follow. I hope to be seeing you agian.

p.s.- I bet you a case of beer that PIONEER will be alot better this year? Maybe even semis in the next 2 years. Now thats something to look forward to. GO PIONEER!

Long live The MADISON SCOUTS!

Calm down kid...

Edited by mellophonium

Well, there clearly is still enough interest. Thousands of people at Finals, sold-out shows, corps still having 300 kids coming to auditions every year, fighting it out for spots. Yeah, looks like there's still interest in DCI. And I'm fine with it, because I still love it.

All true. But there are fewer corps, and DCI is probably losing more fans than it's gaining. That amounts to a loss of revenue that will eventually become unsustainable (sound familiar?). No sensible person buys a product that they neither need nor want.

Did the allowance of dance in the activity cause this much stir when it happened? What about the switch to Bflat? Today, I don't think we can say that those detract from the experience. Electronics is the new design toy, I'm sure once the sparkle wears off it will be pushed back to more relevant moments. It's my personal opinion that there is only one evil that can bring drum corps down, Woodwinds, and if they haven't added that then there is no reason to get our pitch forks out. I though DCI was founded so that drum corps could evolve and not have limits on creativity. Why quit now? The journey is just now getting started.

All true. But there are fewer corps, and DCI is probably losing more fans than it's gaining. That amounts to a loss of revenue that will eventually become unsustainable (sound familiar?). No sensible person buys a product that they neither need nor want.

But if this is the crux of the argument then your argument is not valid if the attendance in the last three years replicates what happened to attendance from 1995 through 2007. That thread and data still exists here.

Were there more corps in 1995 than today? If the number has declined since 1995 (my presumption is that it has, but I don't have the data to support it) then fewer corps does not represent declining attendance even if it does mean fewer MMs. Fewer corps is one thing, and may explain that the same number of kids are trying out for fewer corps, making tryout attendance seems inflated.

But attendance is amazingly robust since the mid-90's, and getting better, the last three years not-withstanding because we don't have the data.

Did the allowance of dance in the activity cause this much stir when it happened? What about the switch to Bflat? Today, I don't think we can say that those detract from the experience. Electronics is the new design toy, I'm sure once the sparkle wears off it will be pushed back to more relevant moments. It's my personal opinion that there is only one evil that can bring drum corps down, Woodwinds, and if they haven't added that then there is no reason to get our pitch forks out. I though DCI was founded so that drum corps could evolve and not have limits on creativity. Why quit now? The journey is just now getting started.

I would surely agree that the rudder needs kicked, and I'm not completely sold that the current direction is the right one.

But this journey started 13 years ago when this path of "evolution" was first laid down.