saying goodbye

It was asked in another thread if you could really walk away from drum corps completely. I have thought long and hard about that. I have to say yes. It has been a great ride, but the car I am in now is just not working for me. I think the shows are extremely well done, but very boring, over used keys and amps that make it hard to even hear the corps. I gave the amps a chance their first year and wasn't too fond of them but could live with it. I gave voice a chance and then heard Yowza. One more straw on the camels back. Then came the hornline doubling synths. I just can't enjoy it anymore and find that I won't be attending shows any further, and didn't at all in 2010. With that said I really can't in any sense of honesty come on here and debate the shows or their direction any longer. I will miss drum corps but I am saying goodbye to it. Also want to thank a lot of you for intelligent conversation and spirited debates. It was fun, but now it is over. I only wish you all well.

Or I'll sum it up this way...I'd rather watch old Youtube clips from the past or sit in the LOT rather than actually attend todays shows...

I really didn't want to reply, but there seems to be a lot of idiocy in some posters statements. Thirdcoast: You ask how I could find Madison 2010 boring? In my thread I tell you directly that I didn't attend a single show in 2010, so I didn't find them to be anything. Another person thinks this leaving statement is an ego boost. I am leaving because I don't go to shows, so how can I have an intelligent debate about said shows that I no longer attend? You are exactly who I have no further use for. As for the Hollywood statement. If I paid fifteen bucks to go sit through 11 straight boring movies just to see three minutes of excitement, then YES, I would stop going to movies. The arrogance of some of you is stifling. I didn't say that the drum corps movement as whole is bad. Its just something I no longer have fun with. Alas, I have never once you tubed any corps for any reason. I am not a young pup with time to waste. I don't live for yesteryear, I can only live day to day, and today is gonna be a good one. Also a launchin pad for personal stements comment: Their was an ENTIRE THREAD about whether or not someone could leave altogether, and I am showing that, yes, someone can and is. It is funny to see some of the anger and hatred for someone to say they are leaving. Don't hate me for leaving, celebrate that there will be one less donor to any corps, one less paid attendee to any show, and one less bored person in the stands. Have a great life, and learn not to hate so much. It is your hatred that drives people away more than any boring show ever could.

But attendance is amazingly robust since the mid-90's, and getting better, the last three years not-withstanding because we don't have the data.

That is not quite accurate.

I can only conclude you have this impression as a result of that finals attendance data you were just discussing here last week. DCP has had previous discussions about overall attendance trends, though, and based on what little feedback has been made public, it appears that a brief uptrend in attendance early this past decade took a U-turn around 2004 (and like you say, we really don't have any info on overall attendance for the past three years).

Unless more data is forthcoming, that's really all I can conclude.

From personal experience I can tell you this kid knows what he is talking about... Maybe not sold out shows, but attendance is UP... It is the number of shows that is down...

So if per-show attendance was up 5%, but there were only half as many shows, would that be a good thing?

Well, but you also have to counter less people with higher ticket prices. Say 25,000 people went to Finals in 1995(This is hypothetical), but the most expensive ticket was 50 dollars, that's at most 1,250,000. Now say 20,000 people went to Finals last year. That's 5,000 less people, but the most expensive ticket last year was 125 dollars, and the least expensive was 55. That means DCI sold at between 1,100,000 and 2,500,000. So, even though the numbers of attending fans are down, the revenue doesn't always follow the same curve.

That is true. However, there comes a point of diminishing returns, where further ticket price hikes cause a decrease in revenue from fans unwilling to pay that much more. Assuming a business strives to operate at the peak of that price/revenue curve, the basic principle of more attendance = more sales = more revenue prevails.

sigh... announcements like this make me cringe. I mean, do you really need to announce that you're "leaving" drum corps.

Yes, it really has become necessary for people to make these announcements....because a few on this board claim that "legacy fans" are not leaving the activity because of recent changes in rules, equipment or show design. Oops.

I really didn't want to reply, but there seems to be a lot of idiocy in some posters statements. Thirdcoast: You ask how I could find Madison 2010 boring? In my thread I tell you directly that I didn't attend a single show in 2010, so I didn't find them to be anything. Another person thinks this leaving statement is an ego boost. I am leaving because I don't go to shows, so how can I have an intelligent debate about said shows that I no longer attend? You are exactly who I have no further use for. As for the Hollywood statement. If I paid fifteen bucks to go sit through 11 straight boring movies just to see three minutes of excitement, then YES, I would stop going to movies. The arrogance of some of you is stifling. I didn't say that the drum corps movement as whole is bad. Its just something I no longer have fun with. Alas, I have never once you tubed any corps for any reason. I am not a young pup with time to waste. I don't live for yesteryear, I can only live day to day, and today is gonna be a good one. Also a launchin pad for personal stements comment: Their was an ENTIRE THREAD about whether or not someone could leave altogether, and I am showing that, yes, someone can and is. It is funny to see some of the anger and hatred for someone to say they are leaving. Don't hate me for leaving, celebrate that there will be one less donor to any corps, one less paid attendee to any show, and one less bored person in the stands. Have a great life, and learn not to hate so much. It is your hatred that drives people away more than any boring show ever could.

Figured you were still reading. If you're announcing your departure, depart and be done with it, pl0x. That is unless you mean you're leaving drum corps but staying on DCP. In which case, ignore all my previous statements except "Goodbye and good riddance."

Yo dude, I know you are going to read this. Its your choice to voice your feelings, thats what makes DCP great but! Did you just call the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS boring. I am sorry to say I really dont know where all the other Corps are going, there direction, there style, there imprint on this activity we call Drum Corps but I can tell you this , THE 2010 MADISON SCOUTS were not boring. You didnt like the 20 Contras on the field marching there ##### off, that ending to SLAUGHTER, or for that matter the ending of Rhapsody in Blue, that guard. Those uniforms with the neckerchiefs for finals, you really dont want to see those uniforms with spats on the field next year? Did I just say SPATS! Our Corps is going to make you want to come see us, a must see Corps, we will be better and we are listening to the fans. 2011 is a new year, and competitivly 10th is not good enough for the MADISON SCOUTS. We know it and so should everyone else top to bottom, all Corps are put on notice that we are bringing our best just like last year. We as a group are working hard to keep this activity relevant. You want Drum Corps, the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS gave you Drum Corps. The 2011 product will just be building on that foundation. I cant talk for the other Drum Corps in DCI but I can for the MADISON SCOUTS in that we dont want you to go and we are going to work our ##### off in 2011 to make your time worth it. I hope all the other Corps follow. I hope to be seeing you agian.

p.s.- I bet you a case of beer that PIONEER will be alot better this year? Maybe even semis in the next 2 years. Now thats something to look forward to. GO PIONEER!

Long live The MADISON SCOUTS!

Your missing half of his point. Even if he did find the 2010 show music entertaining, that doesn't address the issues with the a&e. One of the biggest complaints I heard about the Scouts show from last year is why you needed to back up 20 contras with a synth. So, I'm with the previous poster, haven't been to a show since 2008 (except DCA) and as long as a&e is around I won't be no matter what music is being played.