2010 Bluecoats Show Review

Show Theme:

Metropolis: The Future Is Now

Show Music (from corpsreps.com):

Asphalt Cocktail by Mackey, John

AHA! by Heap, Imogen

Metropolis by Thrower, Doug; Rarick, Tom

160 BPM from Angels and Demons by Zimmer, Hans

If you had told a member of the 2000 Bluecoats that their corps was going to contend for the title in a decade, you would have seen a look of disbelief and skepticism in return. After all, the corps was coming off of a 13th place finish in 1999 and had to fight to get back into Finals in 2000. That decade has passed and, after breaking the coveted Top 6 in 2004, the Bluecoats have consistently hung with the big boys of DCI since. What they had not done, though, is break into the Top 3, what some consider a prerequisite for winning a championship. That prereq is now met and the Bluecoats are ready for the advanced course in being a champion.

Full Article

Camera placement is... well, not everything, but a lot. Again and again the synthesized bass accounts for way too much of the corps volume--at least as heard from that position.

I have to make a correction.

Bill Hamilton was director of the Bluecoats in 2000 and had been for some time, hardly a rookie. I've edited that sentence on my website and am doing so on my initial post above. Apologies for the incorrect information and thank you for reading.

• 4 weeks later...

Great review! Thanks for writing it :thumbup: Also the Metropolis (movie) video is great. I've heard its not an easy movie to watch, but I'm thinking of renting it from the library sometime soon.