Frank Dorrities article

Great post, Frank!! I'm sure the kids ( the un-dinosaurs) will tear you a new one over it, but it's just another nail that you have hit squarely on the head. Kudos to you.

Thank God they aren't using fingernails on a blackboard to keep tempo! ( but I do get that same feeling with Dr Brakedrum and the duts!)

Way too many folks depend on this instead of each other and LISTENING to each other. They truly lose the feeling for the MUSIC and can't get into it without the constant clanging of that d**n thing or the verbals duts ( or duhs!).

Thanks very much for the article and expressing what a LOT of us have felt for a long time.

Ray

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is the creator of "The DUT?" Must be Dut Vader!

Say NO to the DUT!

So here are the new rules:

1. The electronic bull-horn metronome is only to be employed in the early stages of learning, and thereafter only to establish, not maintain, tempo at rehearsal.

----------------------------------------

I perceive this to be directed to the staff in regards to starting the Dr. Beat before playing/marching and not turning it off until the end of what they are working on... If that be the case, I agree over 100,000,000,000%. Don't get me wrong, the metronome is a great TOOL to use in order to get everyone on the same page as far as tempos. But in the long run, the mets are NOT going to be getting you through the show... It is the drum major who is in charge of the bus. Granted also that the Drumline (battery) is responsible to be the engine of the corps/band, but it is the Drum Major's job to control the gas and brake peddles. You can force the tempo all you want, but if you are playing, and doing your job, your eyes should be on the DM and NO WHERE ELSE (utilizing your peripheral vision to maintain proper spacing and locations for drill of course). If you play and want to utilize the metronome to help build your endurance, use it at HOME. Once you go outside, the ONLY person using the metronome should be the DM (With a ear piece so he/she can focus on the tempo). A lot of "veteran" drum majors like to add effects to the show in forms of accelerated tempos, holds, etc., and if the corps relies on the metronome during every rehearsal and turns it from a tool into a crutch, that, to me, takes a lot of the "entertainment" value out of the production and thus turning the players, and drum majors, into potential robots.

Of course IMO, use the metronome during early season ensembles when music is still being learned. Once the feet get wet with the music, each member needs to do their homework (and if need be, use a metronome to help create the endurance needed to perform), and once you hit the drill field, leave the mets at home unless you are the DM.

(Please don't stone me too much :laughing: )

Join the fight! Just say: "Nuts to Duts!"

Join the fight! Just say: "Nuts to Duts!"

I'll buy the first T shirt.

I'll buy the first T shirt.

It's interesting the response on this thread compared to the same question elsewhere. Kinda' 'splains lotsa stuff.......death to the DUTS!!!

Edited by ereese

my friend Frank's article and the postings on this subject have dismayed me much.........first is it DUT......DHUT.......OR DUHT??????? inquiring minds want to know.........secondly: after my invention of nerf drums and stix, just how will the beaters and bangers find a clue to tempo, wherein they can all actually make their entrance and attack simultaneously?????????????????? However, the uncalled for and unrelenting attacks on Dr. Beat left me in tears falling on my kevlar drumhead (which is tightened to the tension of a formica kitchen table).........to some of us the beautiful sounds of the electronic timekeeper is very soothing....it lulls me to sleep at ffffffffffff plus..................oh bitter day, I must depart and work on my next percussive experiment.....TBD

my friend Frank's article and the postings on this subject have dismayed me much.........first is it DUT......DHUT.......OR DUHT??????? inquiring minds want to know.........secondly: after my invention of nerf drums and stix, just how will the beaters and bangers find a clue to tempo, wherein they can all actually make their entrance and attack simultaneously?????????????????? However, the uncalled for and unrelenting attacks on Dr. Beat left me in tears falling on my kevlar drumhead (which is tightened to the tension of a formica kitchen table).........to some of us the beautiful sounds of the electronic timekeeper is very soothing....it lulls me to sleep at ffffffffffff plus..................oh bitter day, I must depart and work on my next percussive experiment.....TBD

LOL...... :worthy:

my friend Frank's article and the postings on this subject have dismayed me much.........first is it DUT......DHUT.......OR DUHT??????? inquiring minds want to know

Why did I suddenly think of Homer J Simpson?

D'OH.... D'OH... D'OH.... D'OH... :worthy:

Gad my wife is right, I AM too much of a 'toon head...... (Oh that's right, I DVR'ed "Ugly Americans" last night since it was after my beddy by time.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari