Most Exciting Senior Corps, Early DCA

You know I never knew you as old as I!

I lost from Nov 71 through June 74 - all over in Asia (no drum corps there then).

When I came back they were starting out in the middle of the field and all this craziness. I had no idea.

Then Pete China made me go see DCI in 1975 and I was completely turned inside out (although I had witness SCV and a few others while I was at Language School in California in 1970).

The single best show I ever saw was the 1969 Dream - first time I saw "Requiem for an Era" I was blown away. What a day - with my drum corps hero Joe Genero taking the day in one of the most intense competitions I've seen before or since. You could have put any one of those DCA corps in first that day and I would have said, "Yeah - I can see that." But Genero was the most intense b*stard I had ever seen on a podium, until about 5 years later when I saw George Parks.

Those two guys in battle would have been one of those Jedi deals, or Harry Potter against Voldemort - sheer magical power one against the other.

Man - I know the activity has evolved, but it's hard for me, even after all the years I spent working in it afterwards, to think of anything as "better" than those days. More musical? I guess. Better movement? I guess? Total show packages? I guess.

But Better?

I guess?

...nah, nevah could be "better"...different and more professional for sure, but for raw *excitement* I've never been affected by a marching horns 'n' drums thing as much as those days. Spectacular...that's the word. Visceral...that's another. And I got you by a couple of years, Ray my son...I was a strappin' 24 year old scout pilot in '71...we were there at the same time for about a month, I left Dec. 6th, 1971 and DEROSed 3 days later! OH, and I got to see '69 Yankee Rebs in ATLANTA that year...holy cow, what a show!!!

cg

Edited by chasgroh

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question 1972

Cabs

Sky

Bucs

Hurc

Crusaders

Rebels

All these corps beat the eventual champion Cabs at some point in the season. Crusaders did it by 7 points on 7/8

All WOW!

we won more shows than anybody except sky that year. and except the rebels we all thought we won DCA. just an unreal year for DCA

...nah, nevah could be "better"...different and more professional for sure, but for raw *excitement* I've never been affected by a marching horns 'n' drums thing as much as those days. Spectacular...that's the word. Visceral...that's another. And I got you by a couple of years, Ray my son...I was a strappin' 24 year old scout pilot in '71...we were there at the same time for about a month, I left Dec. 6th, 1971 and DEROSed 3 days later! OH, and I got to see '69 Yankee Rebs in ATLANTA that year...holy cow, what a show!!!

cg

yeah we were on the ready line having to watch them. when we took the field nobody knew we were there. they were so freaking good that night. i remember thinking to my self....." and just how are we supposed to beat that"

Man,

Just look at how we all remember ,just how big, powerful & freakin good they ALL were . When those Corps played company front to the stands ,my body would shake & the hair on my neck would stand up ! For Me it was the 67 Hurcs & Genero ,72 Sky & The 77 RI Matadors .Wow ,were we lucky to be there or what ????!!!!!!

Mike D.

St. Kevins

yeah we were on the ready line having to watch them. when we took the field nobody knew we were there. they were so freaking good that night. i remember thinking to my self....." and just how are we supposed to beat that"

...*that* show...*in* freaking Atlanta!!! I would've loved to be where you were, Don...no matter what! Good for you, man! Me, what a send off to the army and 'Nam. Holy sh*te!

cg

Lets see in the Early 70's I was to young to march however I took care of the drum pads the Cabs snare line would use before going on the field. :laughing:

Edited by cabsbari79

Lets see in the Early 70's I was to young to march however I took care of the drom pads the Cabs snare line would use before going on the field. :laughing:

What's A "drom pad"

LOL

Thanks mike I corrected. fat fingers here

cg

You and I will have to get together and exchange some stories some time. Preferably while no one younger is around to get bored with them.

I have to agree with the OP. For me it was '72 SKY. I was just a kid in the juniors at the time and was at a DCA show when they opened up on the field. Collective hysteria is the best way I can describe it. The crowd stood up and started screaming and yelling on the first note and didn't sit down and shut up until the last. It was almost scary.