Any News?

The thought of the Rochester Crusaders, being finished - not returning, ever - is very sad, considering all that history!!

I hope the Brigs will make a return to competition in the next couple years.. DCA doesn't seem the same without them.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to clarify the truth of the matter, I've decided to post.

As of last December i formally resigned my position as Director. The BOD then decided to liquidate, file bankruptcy and formally, as per the by-laws of the corporation, they dissolved the organization. All equipment except for the uniforms,trailer and misc small stuff have been sold. Which is in the hands of the attorney.

In order to clarify the truth of the matter, I've decided to post.

As of last December i formally resigned my position as Director. The BOD then decided to liquidate, file bankruptcy and formally, as per the by-laws of the corporation, they dissolved the organization. All equipment except for the uniforms,trailer and misc small stuff have been sold. Which is in the hands of the attorney.

Thanks for posting.

It sux that we lose any corps whether it be DCA or DCI...but The Rochester Crusaders were my family and I will miss them all!

Very, very sad news.

The years I marched, the folks in the Crusaders were among our best friends in drum corps. Norm LeFrois, Kevin and Michelle Shea, and many others. Great people. My brother and I spent a few days in early winter 1979 visiting with Kevin and Michelle and the rest of the crew, and then another weekend in late September of 1980. Good times.

1) I will never forget Cru turning and playing "Tonight" to us (Sunrisers) on DCA Finals retreat in 1977, after our corps had just won our first DCA title. That was a class move by the Crusaders, no doubt about it.

2) In 1988, I was on Sun's truck-driving crew for the first DCA show of the season, at the Albany-Colonie baseball stadium. We were loading up the corps' equipment truck when the Crusaders performed that day, so we didn't get to see them....... then when the scores came out, the Crusaders were in first place.... honestly, some folks in Sun were like, "how did they beat us today???"

Well..... I and the other truck drivers that weekend stayed around while Sun's buses left for the school the corps was staying at overnight. So we got to see the Crusaders' victory encore.

Their freakin' horn line was AWESOME during the encore run.... they just absolutely blew us away. We got back to the school and told our friends in Sun...."we just heard the reason why you guys lost to them!!!!" LOL

So sorry to see the Crusaders go. I know it's a cliche', but it's true: Drum corps will not be the same without them.

Edited by Fran Haring

My favorite "Crusader Memory" (and I'd venture to say) of every member of Steel City in 1989: Our tie at DCA finals and our "mass exit" from the field in Allentown! The trading of uniform components made for some "interesting" garb! :tongue: I still have a "Phantom of the Opera" mask from that night! Then in 1990 in Rochester, Steel City and Crusaders tie AGAIN and before the announcer says WHO the corps were that did so.... we rushed togeather because we "knew" it was us! By the time the announcer called out the corps names, we were togeather at over 250 strong! (and we knew what to play too, having a "run through" in 89)

I'm gonna miss you guys! Always a "class act"! :laughing:

Yes it is...but Mike and family could not continue to run the corps from their pockets, to keep losing on the deal. I had many years in the organization as well and hate to see this happen. Since I was not at the infamous board meeting, I can only go by what people that were have told me. I know it wasnt good for Mike's health anymore, thats for sure. But I also know that he wanted to do anything to keep in going. The biggest reason was financial collapseI am sure.

Lets try to remember the powerhouse corps of the 60's...70's...80's...90's...and 2000's. I can go back as far as the corps practicing at Odenbach Boat Factory, Charlotte Beach, and the Civic Center downtown always in awe of how "fabulous" the corps was even in the early 60's.

A proud alumnus!

Donny Allen

I'll never forget all those NY State shows Grenadiers vs Crusaders rivalries. They were fun! We had a lot of friends in the Crusaders lines over the years, who always shout out to us as we did them.

Thanks Crusaders for all the fun over the years!