Dutch Boy.....

As "NorthStar" they performed in the Kitchener Oktoberfest parade. They were all age,, I think, making an appearance with age out and alumni...

I must say, they looked & sounded fabulous even though there were ageouts among them.

I must say, they looked & sounded fabulous even though there were ageouts among them.

The Oktoberfest parade in Kitchener parade brings out friends and alumni of all ages, not only from Dutch Boy, but probably from other local corps as well. There's a lot of drum corp talent in the K-W area; it's not surprising that they can put out a good looking group on short notice.

Fred O.

Wasn't Northstar the name of a late 70s corps? Kind of remember Guelph Royalaires Sr corps merging with them around 78/79 when things were tough for both corps. Think merger lasted one year but never heard any details.

Yes, KW Northstar were a merger of Dutchboy and Flying Dutchmen in the 70's... they formed the Northstar Youth Organization which were Dutchboy Cadets and KW Northstar,, a Cadet Corps and (at that time) Open class corps. Just recently, they gone back to that model,, with (to my understanding),, Dutchboy being a cadet corps for the younger local youth, and Northstar geared to be the competitve DCI corps. Sort of, going back to the roots and being a 'youth' organization for local, off the street kids to learn to march, play, and be respectful citizens of the city(s) they live in.

I wish them the very best of luck, and hope that soon, I may be able to help them out...

Just recently, they gone back to that model,, with (to my understanding),, Dutchboy being a cadet corps for the younger local youth, and Northstar geared to be the competitve DCI corps. Sort of, going back to the roots and being a 'youth' organization for local, off the street kids to learn to march, play, and be respectful citizens of the city(s) they live in.

Can this be confirmed from another source that this Northstar program being talked about is geared to be a competitive DCI corps? That would be great news for the area if they have the right resources. And is this in the near future (2 years)? or unforeseen future?

• 3 weeks later...
Can this be confirmed from another source that this Northstar program being talked about is geared to be a competitive DCI corps? That would be great news for the area if they have the right resources. And is this in the near future (2 years)? or unforeseen future?

Looking at the website it's still Dutch Boy, it seems the NorthStar, is the overall organization (think YEA). It look sliek they are trying get Dutch Boy going again for 2010, and looking at the staff members have a few former Kiwanis Kavaliers staff/members on thier staff this year.

Maybe an All Age corps from K-W would be pretty successful in DCA.