French horns. what a sound

Here's a group photo for y'all:

FHlineup.jpg

Conn, Holton, Getzen, Peate, Ludwig Classic, Olds

Edited by HornsUp

Hey Joe.... Annapolis, 2012. How about you, me and Stan with a French horn trio at the DCA I&E show?

Then again.... perhaps the world won't be ready for that. :beer:

That close to DC and a Service Academy - make sure you let the Secret Service know. They're going to get a lot of calls about acts of Terrorism (or perhaps terrriblism?) that weekend.

:worthy::lol::lol:

Here's a group photo for y'all:

FHlineup.jpg

Conn, Holton, Getzen, Peate, Ludwig Classic, Olds

That's a fascinating photo... is that a private collection?

That's a fascinating photo... is that a private collection?

Yes, and there's 25 more here. Care to join me for one helluva fox hunt?

Edited by HornsUp

Yes, and there's 25 more here. Care to join me for one helluva fox hunt?

there's got to be a classic ensemble in the making for one of the upcoming BHoF events!!!

I have a vintage contra at home here to join in. nowhere near as vintage as those babies though - it's already in G-F... new age.

looks like Kenny's basement to me...

I started on the Conn to the left... spent a lot of time with Getzen...

The Getzen engineers knew little of folcrum point... you had to keep that slide real fast to overcome the resistance caused by the slide ring being suspended such a long distance below the tubing... which left the danger of accidental movement of the slide. Decent sound - poor physical design.

Part of the reason rotaries replaced slides so fast...

When I was director of Cru, we also had a wonderful hornist who played in symphony orchestras who used her French Horn mouthpiece with an adaptor on mellophone... she had no problem...

It could be done well if:

1. you march well (little movement from the waist up)

2. you have a delicate embrouchure that is used to playing with little pressure - as many professional symphonic players do...

I tried the adapter trick, but it didn't work out. It added so much length to the leadpipe, I couldn't tune to the rest of the line.

I was never completely comfortable with the fat/rounded rims of trumpet/mello mouthpieces, so I eventually went to Giardinelli in NYC, picked the deepest cup trumpet mouthpiece they had, and had them marry it to a rim that matched my usual French horn mouthpiece. Worked like a charm.

Can't have one without the other? I'm not following you. Why not?

Fred O.

Sure you can have both. They do make bell forward french horns in F just like the mellophones (actually it's the other way around). My guess is the French Horns are a very hard horn to play while running around the field (as they do today), which is one very GOOD reason they don't use them much if at all. Not sure, but are any DCI/DCA competing corps using French Horns these days?

I got my King F mellophone yesterday, and I gotta say it is such a nice playing horn. I use my trumpet mouthpiece I have been playing on since Mr. Tottle made it for me back in 1976. This horn does have a darker richer tone than does my G Dynasty. I will stop short of saying it sounds like a french horn, but it does get closer to that sound than does the G mellophone. I did notice it seems to take more air than my G does too.

I tried the adapter trick, but it didn't work out. It added so much length to the leadpipe, I couldn't tune to the rest of the line.

I was never completely comfortable with the fat/rounded rims of trumpet/mello mouthpieces, so I eventually went to Giardinelli in NYC, picked the deepest cup trumpet mouthpiece they had, and had them marry it to a rim that matched my usual French horn mouthpiece. Worked like a charm.

Didn't know you were a hornist Ken... I knew there was some reason I liked you besides your audio engineering skills...