Favorite Dreitzer Tunes

You are NEVER gonna guess what I just found. When Gus Wilke passed away his daughter Lorie gave me a shopping bag filled with music that Gus had collected over the years. I just now took a look through it. It is a treasure trove of Dreitzer's music going back to the 50s,....A LOT OF THE MUSIC IS IN PENCIL. Some are the entire charts. Quartets, duets, solos, Pepe's solo in "Aquarius". Even some of the "klunkers". "Tarantelle", "I'm Gonna Love You". I haven't put it all in order as of yet. As I just said I just began looking through it about 20 minutes ago. MAN, WHAT A FIND.

Hi Mike... That is a great find....

Just wondering if in the treasure chest is "Return to Paradise"

It was one of Hy's first Arrangements back in 1955 ,

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike... That is a great find....

Just wondering if in the treasure chest is "Return to Paradise"

It was one of Hy's first Arrangements back in 1955 ,

Hi Jim,...Charlie,

I did not see anything with that title on it but keep in mind, Gus didn't join the New York Skyliners until 1957. There are quite a few sheets of music that have been copied and when they were reprinted the title was cut off. I'll have to play a few bars to try and figure out what the title is. After I get everything sorted out I'll give Charlie and/or you copies that I presently have. Charlie, just DON'T expect them at Bridgemen's rehearsal in 2 weeks. What I have finished by then I'll give you. Some of the charts is stuff that the Alumni has played dating back to 1997 and some of it was rewritten (more like brought up to date) by Bill Moore. There is even stuff that is St. Andrew's Bridgemen music. Stuff by Larry Kerchner, even a number written for the Kidets by Lenny Kopaz. We know that Dreitzer arranged for St. Andrew's and I have the original, written in black pen with some additions written in pencil, entire chart for a number called, "A Time For Us". I'll have an up date for you guys at Bridgemen's Open House on Nov. 13 & 14.

Edited by NYSkyliner

Hi Jim,...Charlie,

I did not see anything with that title on it but keep in mind, Gus didn't join the New York Skyliners until 1957. There are quite a few sheets of music that have been copied and when they were reprinted the title was cut off. I'll have to play a few bars to try and figure out what the title is. After I get everything sorted out I'll give Charlie and/or you copies that I presently have. Charlie, just DON'T expect them at Bridgemen's rehearsal in 2 weeks. What I have finished by then I'll give you. Some of the charts is stuff that the Alumni has played dating back to 1997 and some of it was rewritten (more like brought up to date) by Bill Moore. There is even stuff that is St. Andrew's Bridgemen music. Stuff by Larry Kerchner, even a number written for the Kidets by Lenny Kopaz. We know that Dreitzer arranged for St. Andrew's and I have the original, written in black pen with some additions written in pencil, entire chart for a number called, "A Time For Us". I'll have an up date for you guys at Bridgemen's Open House on Nov. 13 & 14.

WOW, this is so cool !

Thanks Mike, there's no rush on anything so no need to kill yourself for the Bmen Open House.

Can always get it at a rehearsal down the road. It's just exciting to think there's possibly more original charts for our archives. Now if only Charlie Bruen would send us what he got !!!

We simply gotta find "ALL THAT JAZZ" from '77

Darth

Edited by cvayda

Now if only Charlie Bruen would send us what he got !!!

HAHA ... still mad he lost election's in 66 ... huh? ... LOL

:-)

I found a new favorite drum corps site Preserve Our Drum Corps Memories. :thumbup:

Edited by Skydrummer9

I think it has more to do with the alumni corps election back when Scott got elected and not him !

I'm sure that added to it but, he has a long, long history of defeats and election time ... 2000 should have been no surprise to him ... he was hoarding Hy's charts long before that ...

:-)