Newark Schools Stadium

For all those who remember those Penn Jersey and Eastern States shows at the iconic Newark Schools Stadium in the 60's, here's a look at the new stadium (the old one was condemned in 2006) ...

large_schools_stadium_rendering_071809.jpg

Many a drum corps marrhed there on those long Saturday nights and hot Sunday afternoons ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

For all those who remember those Penn Jersey and Eastern States shows at the iconic Newark Schools Stadium in the 60's, here's a look at the new stadium (the old one was condemned in 2006) ...

Many a drum corps marrhed there on those long Saturday nights and hot Sunday afternoons ...

Wow! We never had that, but it looks like we had more seating. If I remember, the seats went both sides and one end zone wrap around. The outside of the stadium looks a lot bigger too. We just had side walk and the school across the street on the corner, but we also had those hot dog vendors with the great dogs and red sauce onions. Saw the likes of Bridgeport PAL, St. Lucy's Cadets, St. Brendan's Cadets, Bon Bon's, Woodsiders many times. Good venue for drum corps, except the fans had to sit on hard seating.

Andy, you stirred the memory pot on this one. :tongue:

Edited by gsksun4

It so doesn't look like that yet. :tongue:

Right now it's a bunch of dirt being pushed around. Since Friday they pushed it out more into Bloomfield Ave.

"Olde Ironbound":

Remember it very well. The GREAT corps that competed here, in "Circuit" as well as "Opne" competitions. All the "Newark Corps" (Blessed Sacrament, St Lucys, Woodsiders, St Brendans) held their shows there, and the Penn-Jersey Championships were also at that stadium.

Such GREAT corps as Loretto Knights, Selden Cadets, Bon Bons, Bridgeport's PAL Cadets, St Lucys cadetsSt Raaphaels Buccaneers, Haddon Heights Vagabonds and the Royal Lancers fought for that title over the years :tongue:

Lots and LOTS of memories from Andy's post.

Thanks so much. :tongue:

Elphaba

I believe it is a project by the city to not only do over the stadium. If you look at some of the city parks have been re done there as well. I went by one of the baseball city parks about a month ago and last year it was a complete dust bowl. Now it has all new stands light towers and the field is all turf.

It so doesn't look like that yet. :tongue:

Right now it's a bunch of dirt being pushed around. Since Friday they pushed it out more into Bloomfield Ave.

Now, now ... don't be a Debbie Downer ... the important thing is that it's getting done ... I'm sure the memories of contests and names of corps yet to be posted will bring smiles to a lot of DCPers ... you must remember that almost every other weekend there was a contest held at that stadium by Newark based corps ... similar to Kennedy and Hedges back in the 60's with all the Bridgeport based corps ...

Who knows ... maybe when it's complete we can have a Penn Jersey Reunion there to celebrate ... there's certainly enough Penn Jersey Circuit Alumni groups around now ...

One of the best shows ever held there:

Sunday September 9, 1962

Newark NJ Penn-Jersey Association Championships STADIUM: Newark Schools Stadium

Position Corps Score

1 Selden Cadets 86.450

2 Our Lady Loretto Knights 85.910

3 St. Lucy's Cadets 85.270

4 Vagabonds (NJ) 84.400

5 Audubon Bon Bons 84.100

6 Woodsiders 83.900

7 St. Raphael's Golden Buccaneers 82.000

8 Fairlawn Cadets 77.530

9 Bridgeport PAL Cadets 77.440

10 St. Brendan's Cadets 74.600

11 Floyd Bennet Golden Eagles 74.590

12 Neptune Shoreliners 71.460

13 OLPH Ridgemen 71.260

14 St. Joe's Ironbound 63.950

... and another memorable one:

Sunday June 12, 1966

Newark NJ 10th Annual Melodies in Brass - Woodsiders show - Newrak Schools Stadium

Position Corps Score

1 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 82.370

2 Bridgeport PAL Cadets 81.870

3 St. Lucy's Cadets 81.390

4 Garfield Cadets 80.360

5 Audubon Bon Bons 73.420

6 St. Brendan's Cadets 63.510

7 Little Falls Cadets 62.360

8 OLPH Ridgemen 60.700

:tongue:

Edited by ajlisko

And then there was 1963 when we got our hand caught in the cookie jar. Heh. :tongue: Wound up being an exhibition corps.

October 6th., 1963 Penn Jersey Championships:

Position Corps Score

1 St. Lucy's Cadets 81.160

2 Woodsiders 79.450

3 Bridgeport PAL Cadets 77.330

4 Pennsauken Vagabonds 74.730

5 OLPH Ridgemen 71.160

6 Audubon Bon Bons 71.110

7 St. Brendan's Cadets 70.060

8 Neptune Shoreliners 64.010

9 Smithtown Freelancers 59.260

10 St. Joe's Ironbound 51.480

Exhibition

0 Selden Cadets

Notice how late in the year this was held. Could have snowed by then. :tongue:

Edited by gsksun4

I never saw the old stadium Andy. It was nice to see the rendition of that this morning. Because you'd never have a hint that is what it will turn into.

I believe it is a project by the city to not only do over the stadium. If you look at some of the city parks have been re done there as well. I went by one of the baseball city parks about a month ago and last year it was a complete dust bowl. Now it has all new stands light towers and the field is all turf.

Bob,

Those baseball fields were built by Steve Adubato, Sr., and the North Ward Center. I worked for them the last two summers. Mr. Adubato, and Co. have been doing a lot of great things in Newark for the last several years!

Liz, I drove by the stadium yesterday, and the stands, and the press box are already in place, and it looks pretty good. The walls should be up very shortly!