If You Could Do It All Again.......

I dunno if this topic has ever been brooched before as I haven't seen it posted, so let me know if it has, but here goes. I just had a brain burp while down here in Kentucky sippin' on some good ol' "moonshine" when this hit me. :lol: Soooo, what Corps is it gonna be???????? Probably more than one, and mebbe say why you would. For me it probably would have been at least two Corps. There was something about playing that Western style music which I would have really enjoyed, marching with the Troopers, back in the '60's, and then there's Hawthorne. I would have loved to been on the field with Ralph and later Jimmy in front of me, getting to play all of that great music for the FIRST time, and also getting to know Mr. Costello & the rest of the crew. I'll bet George Hayak was even more of a "character" than than he is today. :lol:

Edited by Vanguard Rich

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed 2-7 by a couple of years...., but the year I was able to march, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Well, maybe a few things..

Assuming that this historical rewrite still involves 4 years to wipe out Communism, I would have joined Sunrisers sooner and stayed longer.

I have very few other regrets.

I know this isn't exactly what you meant, Rich, but for me it would have to be the 1972 Caballeros. I marched there for six years prior, and one year after, but sat out '72 for a number of personal reasons. Looking back, I'm sorry I did, though it seemed to make sense to me at the time. Now it seems like a major mistake. That season turned out to be legendary, and our alumni still talk about it.

Also, I regret not going back to the Cabs in 1976 when I was about to do it. Attended a rehearsal and was ready to return, but changed my mind. Probably would have stayed quite a few more years if I had. Don't know if the marriage would have survived, though! I'm sure many of us here have had that same situation.

On the junior side, I wish I had marched in St. Catherine's Queensmen or Blessed Sacrament to have had Bobby Thompson as an instructor. My later friendship with him, developed when he helped us at Hawthorne briefly, was nice, but I really would have loved to play in one of his two greatest junior lines.

BD. Any day.

And the Cabs on the senior side.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Let's see, back in the late 80s when I did march...

On the Jr. side - Boston

On the Sr. side - Bushwackers

LOL, wouldn't have minded trading down for what I thought would be my last year (1979). Westshoremen was on the way up and pressure and time needs were also going up. My senior year at college and I was 180 miles away and no car (8 hours and 10 local stops by bus). :lol: Not to mention I was graduating Dec 79 and had no chance to check out the job market due to distance and doing corps that summer.

Turned out the Hershey Chocolatiers put a corps on the field that year (some years yes, some no). Man would 1979 have been less nerve destroying if I had marched just for the sake of playing (Hershey) instead of worrying about placement at Finals (WSM came in 6th). Kicker was Hershey was about the same distance from the house as Westshores practice areas. Just the opposite direction.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1967 Cavaliers. They tore Fenway Park apart at Am. Legion Nat's.

1963 Skyliners. Had the throng at Roosevelt Stadium in the palm of their hand at the Dream. I can still hear Lil Old NY bouncing off the wall at the finish line as the crowd went totally nuts. Pure excitement!

Also have to mention the 65 Chicago Royal-Airs. Simply the best of the best!