The 80's

The numbers from 1982 into 1983 weren't too bad. It went from 205 junior corps in '82 to 191 in '83.

Most of the Eastern drop off was in Massachusetts, which went from 30 to 23. New York lost 4 corps from '82 to '83, and New Jersey went up in '83. Pennsylvania had the same number in both years.

The East: CT/DE/ME/MD/MA/NH/NJ/NY/PA/RI had 77 junior corps in 1982, and 67 in 1983.

In 2010 these same Eastern states had 8 juniors on the field. Yikes! :sleeping:

"YIKES!!!!":

That ain't the half of it either..... :sleeping:

Elphaba

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantoms M&M was awesome at Finals.

One thing I noticed watching the 1980 video yesterday - Phantom has only 6 Contras on the field. In this day and age of marching up to 20 Tubas, I thought this was really low. It looks like 6 to 8 Contras is the norm for that era.

Even taking into account that the membership limit has increased by 23 members since then, in some cases the largest portion of the increase has gone to the Tuba section.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, 1983 felt worse than it looks on paper because the losses extended into the top 25 (i.e. North Star, Defenders, Seattle Imperials, plus Memphis folding in mid-season), and the corps still fielding were having far more trouble filling their ranks. But yes, 1984 was no picnic either.

The Imperials actually fielded in '83 and did the northwest circuit tour. They might have made the California trip as well (not sure). We lost them after the 1983 season.

And I knew that, too. Memory has a way of....um, what was I gonna say?

We are getting old. ;)

One thing I noticed watching the 1980 video yesterday - Phantom has only 6 Contras on the field. In this day and age of marching up to 20 Tubas, I thought this was really low. It looks like 6 to 8 Contras is the norm for that era.

Even taking into account that the membership limit has increased by 23 members since then, in some cases the largest portion of the increase has gone to the Tuba section.

Alot of the shows were top heavy, with emphasis on the horn line, and specifically sops. Ah the days of the scream demons. :laughing:

Alot of the shows were top heavy, with emphasis on the horn line, and specifically sops. Ah the days of the scream demons. :tongue:

I would like to see more of that today... I mean it takes a special personality to get out front and play stuff that is from a sport analogy standpoint, A LOW PERCENTAGE SHOT and knock it out of the park... To get a glimpse of what I mean, look at the 1983 Blue Devils and watch "Larry Dodd" play his many solos... he eyeballs the crowd the whole time, looking to make them scream instead trying to hide from them... Watch the Bari Sop duet "Everybody loves the Blues" and listen to the stuff Eric Schedine (Bari) is playing and how he looks into the eyes of the crowd... There is also this cocky kid Bari soloist in the concert piece who just couldn't stop looking at the crowd after he played... Look at 1984 into the eyes of "Stymie" (Steve Lenaine) during La Fiesta when he is pegging the high notes! He looks mean and mad... That is what I would like to see more of! :satisfied:

I would like to see more of that today... I mean it takes a special personality to get out front and play stuff that is from a sport analogy standpoint, A LOW PERCENTAGE SHOT and knock it out of the park... To get a glimpse of what I mean, look at the 1983 Blue Devils and watch "Larry Dodd" play his many solos... he eyeballs the crowd the whole time, looking to make them scream instead trying to hide from them... Watch the Bari Sop duet "Everybody loves the Blues" and listen to the stuff Eric Schedine (Bari) is playing and how he looks into the eyes of the crowd... There is also this cocky kid Bari soloist in the concert piece who just couldn't stop looking at the crowd after he played... Look at 1984 into the eyes of "Stymie" (Steve Lenaine) during La Fiesta when he is pegging the high notes! He looks mean and mad... That is what I would like to see more of! :satisfied:

Larry has been screaming on soprano since 1977 when we were in a small but strong corps called The Titans before we went across the water to the Seattle Imperials. He and I both had Mercury Cougars, his a '68 and mine a '67. We both still have them to this day.