What Sparked your Drum Corp Interest?

Same here. If I didn't march corps I would have been shunned from the family. :sleeping:

Yup... like an Amish kid who watches TV... shunned forever...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two older brothers joined a local junior corps, the Raiders of 88 (from AL Post 88) in Highland Park, NJ (next town over from where we lived in Edison) for the 1967 season. That was what got me interested in drum corps. I don't remember how and why my brothers got involved... I'll have to ask them again about it sometime.

69, when you were with BAC.

Mike, We were in the tunnel until just before we had to line up. Almost imposable to see much of anything. I don't remember seeing anything like it. (key word here is "remember"...LOL)

Perhaps you'd be willing to tell the story? If not here how about a PM?

Mike, We were in the tunnel until just before we had to line up. Almost imposable to see much of anything. I don't remember seeing anything like it. (key word here is "remember"...LOL)

was at a neighborhood shopping center when I heard music coming from across the street at st micheals catholic school in levittown pa had to check this out I played french horn in middle school & when I got across the street I saw a marching band so I thought But it was the EARLS of Bucks Drum & Bugle Corp Thats when I was hooked I ended up playing baritone Stayed in the earls until they folded & they tried to merge with the bracken cavaliers From Bristol pa Did Lynne That was innitiation time back in those days they didnt have mommies boys & girls You took it &was glad to be a real member of the corps Also did buxmont Raiders from souderton pa Lambertville Vol from Nj & presently in the Bracken Cadets Alumni & the Bushwacker all age corp From windsor Nj What A blast didnt think Id ever have this much fun again cant wait for 2011

Edited by oldschool1180

In the mid 50's the town of Lewiston, Maine had ice festivals which included snowshoe races. Teams called "Raquetteurs" came from all over New England and Canada to participate. After the races, they would assemble at the finish line and march to church playing their drums and G bugles, still wearing their snowshoes. My father was a member of one of these groups called "Les Montagnards". He recruited me into marching with a G bugle. I later played taps for Legion Post 22. Then in '59 the Scarlet Cadets were organized. I played a single valve slide Getzen bugle until 1963 when our entire drumline was drafted. I played snare for several years until I was recruited into the Air Force. I was completely out of the drumcorps loop until 2006 when I heard about Shen Sound and joined. I love every minute of it.

This is great stuff! Very Interesting. Keep them coming.

I literally was in my mother's womb listening to Drum and Bugle Corps.

I grew up in a house that was exactly 23 yards ( I once counted when I got older ) fom the chalked starting line on a playground where my local parish Drum And Bugle Corps practiced their field M&M show. When my mother was pregnant, she would sit out on the front steps in the summer and watch and listen to the Corps with my Dad to the Corps.

When I was about 4-5, I would march ( mostly run ) behind the Corps after they stepped off the line and moved downfield. I actually thought that when the Corps movement down field would stop and they began to mark time, that they were actually stopping FOR ME , so I could catch up !! ( haha! )

When I was 7 years old, the Corps participated in the VFW Nationals in Philadelphia ( 1954 ), and my Family went and took me. The Corps came in 7th ( beat Kilties, Liberty Bell, and were 4 tenths in back of The Most Precious Blood ( Boston ) Crusaders, and some other top name Corps ). When I was 8, the Corps suspended operations, as many of the marchers turned 21. Many went to a local Senior Corps after that. Then after a years absence, at the age of 9, the parish Corps reorganized as a younger Corps, and I joined that Corps. Our instructors were several of the Corps former marchers that were now in the 20's, and worked with us. I marched with that Corps from the age of 9 until I aged out at 21, playing bugle, and then finishing up as Drum Major for 4 years, before then going into the military...... Agree, great thread. Keep them coming !

Edited by BRASSO

It was at retreat, but I'll PM you...

*shrug* Was a Jr in HS and never heard of Drum Corps. Got invited to a local group that soon dissolved and merged into another corps that was coming back after being off the field for a year. Was looking at going to a Community College after I graduated and wasn't ready to quit playing horn. Kept thinking all that $$$$ in private lessons shot to Hades.

Got interested because I was finally in a group outside of my own age/experiences and the "real world" was pretty interesting. Parents dropped me off for my first corps bus trip and even my father was saying "This looks like fun, wish I was going". The music excited me but being with people totally outside of what I was used to was a clincher.

Started in a Boy Scout corps in Church basement in New Bedford, Ma. in 65. I don't remember how I got there, I think my Mom just told my brother & I we were joining. Started on straight bugles, no valves. Did a few parades for the Church. You know the kind, the Processional, with the Saint or The Madonna being carried through the streets. The 2 guys that ran the corps approached the Church about getting "real" single valve bugles. The Church said no so after a while they put their own $$$ up bought some used equipment & started a new corps.

But it wasn't till later that year 66 when one of the older more experienced members played a recording of

the Hurricanes at 64 World Open ........................ hooked! Been doing it ever since. Had first competition in 67.

When I wasn't even a year old, my dad took me to my first Drum Corps show. I slept through the entire thing, but I am still going to shows today. I love it, and plan to march at 15. I can't wait for the Drum Corps life.