Meal preperation

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any contacts with companies or individuals whom may be interested inproviding meals on the road by using the corps food trailer.

I always wondered why corps do not either rent out their food trailers during the off-season, or go to the larger festivals and such and use them to make $$$ selling food. We have a bunch of festivals here in Kansas during the fall and spring that draw tens- to hundreds- of thousands of people and they all have big food court areas that are always packed. Although alot of it is "carnival" type food (i.e., cotton candy, funnel cake, etc.), they also have staples such as burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc. A corps food truck would really provide a great tool to sell food out of at these festivals during the off-season as a fundraiser. I know Blue Stars always does really well selling brats, hot dogs, etc. at the La Crosse Octoberfest every year.

I always wondered why corps do not either rent out their food trailers during the off-season, or go to the larger festivals and such and use them to make $$$ selling food. We have a bunch of festivals here in Kansas during the fall and spring that draw tens- to hundreds- of thousands of people and they all have big food court areas that are always packed. Although alot of it is "carnival" type food (i.e., cotton candy, funnel cake, etc.), they also have staples such as burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc. A corps food truck would really provide a great tool to sell food out of at these festivals during the off-season as a fundraiser. I know Blue Stars always does really well selling brats, hot dogs, etc. at the La Crosse Octoberfest every year.

I really was adressing meals for the corps while they are on tour vs using volunteers. Many corps have the same people preparing tour meals by either being a volunteer or getting paid.

Not following the question. Can you clarify what you are looking for?

Situation: Most corps on tour feed their members via Food Trailers, Chuck

Wagons, etc. These vehicles are manned by cooks, food crews, etc. These individuals are either parent volunteers or possible paid employees. It is quite a logistic endeavor to purchase food, store it, cook it, cleanup etc.

My question is that there may be a catering business, or qualified indivdual that could handle this feat ( for a price) to take the burdon off the corps. I hope this explains it better

Wagons, etc. These vehicles are manned by cooks, food crews, etc. These individuals are either parent volunteers or possible paid employees. It is quite a logistic endeavor to purchase food, store it, cook it, cleanup etc.

My question is that there may be a catering business, or qualified indivdual that could handle this feat ( for a price) to take the burdon off the corps. I hope this explains it better

Is it cheaper to pay a catering company or to buy cheap food in bulk and use unpaid help to prepare it...Hm...

I think it was fairly common a few years back for some corps to use food-service providers such as Sysco or US Foodservice to keep them supplied on the road. The contracter's truck would meet the corps at desginated housing sites to fulfill the order for the week or whatever interval was specified. Some corps taken the burden in house, so to speak, with the proliferation of Sam's and other hyper-stores along with the the convenient navigation of GPS. No surprise, they find it's cheaper.

Some corps also supplement the volunteers with paid staff. The paid staff might be more logistical, more culinary or both. I doubt there is any one formula here. If you're interested, might be wise just to make a pitch to the corps.

HH