Meal preperation

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeding the members and staff on the road is a huge, miserable job. I went on tour with Miss Amana and SCV in ’93. The kids are fed 4 times a day, so the kitchen is active constantly, except when on the road. Logistically they use a tremendous amount of food and create a huge amount of trash. Usually the weather is hot and miserable outside and with the ovens and burners it is even hotter and more miserable inside the trailer. The volunteers who work in the mess truck are the hardest workers in drum corps!

Feeding the members and staff on the road is a huge, miserable job. I went on tour with Miss Amana and SCV in ’93. The kids are fed 4 times a day, so the kitchen is active constantly, except when on the road. Logistically they use a tremendous amount of food and create a huge amount of trash. Usually the weather is hot and miserable outside and with the ovens and burners it is even hotter and more miserable inside the trailer. The volunteers who work in the mess truck are the hardest workers in drum corps!

QFT. So, so, so much respect for all the people that ever cooked for me on tour.

And, in some corps, the cook truck volunteers are treated poorly and with contempt by administration and staff.

Sadly, I know that of what I speak.

And, in some corps, the cook truck volunteers are treated poorly and with contempt by administration and staff.

Sadly, I know that of what I speak.

So sorry you had connected with such a corps as you describe. I do not know of any corps that treat their cooking crew that way.

The corps I am connected with use all volunteers. Two individuals plan the menu and make arrangements for procurement on food on the road. ( delivered by Sysco at housing sites). Crews of 6 or so work for a week and are releived at a major show site. It is very hard work but VERY APPRECIATED by our kids and staff, I cannot remember one meal where someone does not say "thank you food crew".

There are a few corps that "contract out" this job ( the whole thing from A-Z). Either to individuals that have talent in this area or possibly a company.

I am on a quest to find contacts for this feat. Does anyone know of any? I am already aware of the complexity of it.

KEEP eating well kids.

I marched in the Blue Devils in the early 80's in the days of our awesome cook Beau!

He had a staff of cooks with him... I think 4 people would do the entire job all summer on our converted food bus! He shopped in the local towns grocery stores looked for deals where he was able and found unique ways to save a bunch of money on food! I mean really creative ways... :sleeping:

But our food was always excellent tasting and wholesome. We were fed more than we could eat and so I am quite thankful to Beau and all his ummmm creativity! :sleeping:

Edited by Big Bad Bari

So sorry you had connected with such a corps as you describe. I do not know of any corps that treat their cooking crew that way.

The corps I am connected with use all volunteers. Two individuals plan the menu and make arrangements for procurement on food on the road. ( delivered by Sysco at housing sites). Crews of 6 or so work for a week and are releived at a major show site. It is very hard work but VERY APPRECIATED by our kids and staff, I cannot remember one meal where someone does not say "thank you food crew".

There are a few corps that "contract out" this job ( the whole thing from A-Z). Either to individuals that have talent in this area or possibly a company.

I am on a quest to find contacts for this feat. Does anyone know of any? I am already aware of the complexity of it.

KEEP eating well kids.

If you are looking for a professional staff, I would suggest contacting the local cooking schools in your area (i.e., Le Cordon Bleu, The Art Institute of (pick your citry)). There are many recent or soon-to-be graduates from these schools that are looking for experience, and a summer of drum corps is a bunch of experience in a very short period of time.

I hope they don't use too much pepper when they preper the meals.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a professional staff, I would suggest contacting the local cooking schools in your area (i.e., Le Cordon Bleu, The Art Institute of (pick your citry)). There are many recent or soon-to-be graduates from these schools that are looking for experience, and a summer of drum corps is a bunch of experience in a very short period of time.

I've heard something similar to this mentioned before- trying to partner with a local school to have a summer drum corps food truck experience offered as an internship. Can't beat experience.

Situation: Most corps on tour feed their members via Food Trailers, Chuck

Wagons, etc. These vehicles are manned by cooks, food crews, etc. These individuals are either parent volunteers or possible paid employees. It is quite a logistic endeavor to purchase food, store it, cook it, cleanup etc.

My question is that there may be a catering business, or qualified indivdual that could handle this feat ( for a price) to take the burdon off the corps. I hope this explains it better

We called it 'McDonalds'