Drum Corps Museum and Hall of Fame

Question: Are there continuing efforts being made to create a Drum Corps Museum and Hall of Fame? How can DCP members help? Has there been a Foundation created for fundraising for this project?

Answer: (from Bob Jacobs, DCI Director of Marketing)

There has been interest shown in organizing the Collectors' and Historical Society, as initially outlined in a DCI.org news story from March of 2009, however there has not been a formal establishment of any sort of official entity or foundation to this point. The idea is to preserve the history of drum corps in its entirety, and not focus solely on the "DCI Era." Those of us involved in the project would love to get something going so that we could start managing bequests and donations of personal collections to a central repository, as there have been several inquiries to that end. The intention is to eventually grow the foundation into a museum, as a permanent location and/or as a mobile touring exhibition.

The exhibit hall established at the DCI World Championships this year was well-received. Now the next steps are for folks to come forward to form a steering committee and to get things off the ground. Interested parties should contact Steve Vickers (publisher@drumcorpsworld.com) or Bob Jacobs (bob.jacobs@dci.org).

http://tinyurl.com/DCIhistorical

http://tinyurl.com/historicaldisplay

• Like 2

After almost 40 years of DCI and another 40 prior to that, there should be alot of great things to show, from uniforms to pictures to videos.

Question: Are there continuing efforts being made to create a Drum Corps Museum and Hall of Fame? How can DCP members help? Has there been a Foundation created for fundraising for this project?

Answer: (from Bob Jacobs, DCI Director of Marketing)

There has been interest shown in organizing the Collectors' and Historical Society, as initially outlined in a DCI.org news story from March of 2009, however there has not been a formal establishment of any sort of official entity or foundation to this point. The idea is to preserve the history of drum corps in its entirety, and not focus solely on the "DCI Era." Those of us involved in the project would love to get something going so that we could start managing bequests and donations of personal collections to a central repository, as there have been several inquiries to that end. The intention is to eventually grow the foundation into a museum, as a permanent location and/or as a mobile touring exhibition.

The exhibit hall established at the DCI World Championships this year was well-received. Now the next steps are for folks to come forward to form a steering committee and to get things off the ground. Interested parties should contact Steve Vickers (publisher@drumcorpsworld.com) or Bob Jacobs (bob.jacobs@dci.org).

http://tinyurl.com/DCIhistorical

After almost 40 years of DCI and another 40 prior to that, there should be alot of great things to show, from uniforms to pictures to videos.

..."The exhibit hall established at the DCI World Championships this year was well-received. Now the next steps are for folks to come forward to form a steering committee and to get things off the ground. Interested parties should contact Steve Vickers (publisher@drumcorpsworld.com) or Bob Jacobs (bob.jacobs@dci.org)."

The exhibit at DCI in Indy 2010 had uniforms to pictures to buttons and free back issues of DCW. We enjoyed the exhibit and thanks :-)

Without knowing the budget, I think it would be safe to say that ideas must be centered on getting this off the ground with the least amount of money involved.

The way I see it there are two ideas here: 1. A permanent home, 2. And or a mobile touring exhibition.

My first ideas will focus on the mobile touring exhibition. I feel this idea will have the biggest bang for the buck. Not only will our history reach the general public, if done right this traveling exhibition may bring back some legacy fans and alumni and at the same time create new fans of our Activity.

1. The exhibition must be interactive. For example: Have people stand in front of a green screen marching in a company front with different Corps. Have one play a rotor/piston horn and then play today's horn. Have replica uniforms one could put on to have their pics taken. ect.

2. Create a living Legacy project with the touring exhibition. Set up a booth were you will have audio and video recording set up. One could go into the booth and tell their stories. With peoples permission you could play this back over speakers in the exhibition.

3. Of course one needs to set up at major shows. However, I would arrive at day or two early and set up in the local community somewhere to help get the word out about the DC Show.

4. How does one pay for all this? Get a food truck that travels along selling traditional Corps food. One could even ask area non-profits to run the food truck and they get 10% of sells. One could charge and or ask for donations when entering the exhibition area. Sell vintage Corps apparel. Introduce the touring exhibit to DCI's Corp. sponsors to see if they would help off set the cost. Maybe DCP,DCW,DCI,DCA could help out with seed money. Talk to Fleetwood about selling old recordings.

I think we all can agree that we must save our history for the younger generations.

Dean

• Like 2

Without knowing the budget, I think it would be safe to say that ideas must be centered on getting this off the ground with the least amount of money involved.

The way I see it there are two ideas here: 1. A permanent home, 2. And or a mobile touring exhibition.

My first ideas will focus on the mobile touring exhibition. I feel this idea will have the biggest bang for the buck. Not only will our history reach the general public, if done right this traveling exhibition may bring back some legacy fans and alumni and at the same time create new fans of our Activity.

1. The exhibition must be interactive. For example: Have people stand in front of a green screen marching in a company front with different Corps. Have one play a rotor/piston horn and then play today's horn. Have replica uniforms one could put on to have their pics taken. ect.

2. Create a living Legacy project with the touring exhibition. Set up a booth were you will have audio and video recording set up. One could go into the booth and tell their stories. With peoples permission you could play this back over speakers in the exhibition.

3. Of course one needs to set up at major shows. However, I would arrive at day or two early and set up in the local community somewhere to help get the word out about the DC Show.

4. How does one pay for all this? Get a food truck that travels along selling traditional Corps food. One could even ask area non-profits to run the food truck and they get 10% of sells. One could charge and or ask for donations when entering the exhibition area. Sell vintage Corps apparel. Introduce the touring exhibit to DCI's Corp. sponsors to see if they would help off set the cost. Maybe DCP,DCW,DCI,DCA could help out with seed money. Talk to Fleetwood about selling old recordings.

I think we all can agree that we must save our history for the younger generations.

Dean

these are all great ideas!!

• 1 year later...

Please see the latest efforts to acheive such goals. I have started The Drum Corps Heritage Project, for more information see the following:

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Drum-Corps-Heritage-Project/270451626323978

Founded in 2012, The Drum Corps Heritage Project (DCHP) is a historical society which seeks to document, preserve and make available the records of the drum and bugle corps community throughout North America, past and present, by way of public advocacy and education. This consortium consists of paid and volunteer staff members who are knowledgable about the traditions specific to the history of the North American drum and bugle corps. In time, we seek to develop a museum for the preservation of artifacts and ephemera from the drum corps activity, a special-collections archive for ongoing research and scholarship, and a performance hall to keep the music of the drum and bugle corps alive.

For more information, or if you would like to assist us in getting the project off the ground, please email me at decole2@gmail.com.

All the best,

Dennis Cole, Ph.D.

Founder & Executive Director, The Drum Corps Heritage Project

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

{{{{{{{{ This post is so great and nice }}}}}}}}}

Founded in 2012, The Drum Corps Heritage Project (DCHP) is a historical society which seeks to document, preserve and make available the records of the drum and bugle corps community throughout North America, past and present, by way of public advocacy and education. This consortium consists of paid and volunteer staff members who are knowledgable about the traditions specific to the history of the North American drum and bugle corps. In time, we seek to develop a museum for the preservation of artifacts and ephemera from the drum corps activity, a special-collections archive for ongoing research and scholarship, and a performance hall to keep the music of the drum and bugle corps alive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wondered why this wasn't done a long time ago. DCI has decided that the championships were to be in Indy for a decade. That was the perfect time for this to be instituted. You see all kinds of stuff on ebay that could be had for very little. Other stuff corps have most likely thrown away at the end of the year, or tried to sell. This is hopefully a doable thing. I guess the backing and spot, is up to DCI. Its their game.

Dean

You're a marketing guy, aren't you?

• 2 months later...

I like a permanent museum/Hall of Fame located in Madison Wisconsin, or on the East Coast. Madison, because it has a long history of Drum and Bugle Corps, Drum Corps world is there, and is well known in Drum and Bugle corps circles. However, the East Coast has the same, and more.(primarily a longer history of Drum and Bugle corps.)

Maybe the New Jersey/New York/Pensylvania area?

A surplus school with a stadium/football field would work great. Shows (DCI, WGI, etc.) could be held there as fundraisers for the museum/Hall of Fame.

Edited by cdm