Front Ensemble Synth's?

friceox

I know it's a sensitive subject for many, but the High School that I teach, we're looking to finally buy a legit synth for the marching band and indoor line.

I'm WELL versed in all the models, but I've never used a synth in a front ensemble.

Right now, we're torn between 2 options.

a) buy a 61key synth (yamaha xs6, roland fantom, or korg M3)

b) buy an 88key weighted controller and buy a rack module of one of the above synths

The cost will be about the same, but I'm just trying to get a grasp for what most groups out there recommend.

Not trying to be snarky or a troll, but here goes:

How much does one of the above rigs cost? Is there any particular reason you can't use a standard electric keyboard that runs for one or two hundred bucks?

Not trying to be snarky or a troll, but here goes:

How much does one of the above rigs cost? Is there any particular reason you can't use a standard electric keyboard that runs for one or two hundred bucks?

We're looking to spent about $800-$1000 for the total rig (possibly even less)

The reason to avoid those standard electric keyboards is because they don't have many features besides their current bank of sounds. You can't manipulate any of the patches, you can't store much inside of them, they can't really do much.

We recently decided to go with an 88key weighted controller and we're going to run some virtual synths thru a laptop for year #1 (and possibly get a motif rack module next year).