Blue Stars Switch to Jupiter

There were about 10-12 vets from the trumpet line at camp (6 of the 8 leads were returning lead trumpets). There were a couple vets that had concerts this weekend and could not make camp. The Jupiter trumpets sound good. The trumpets are a professional concert horn and not a marching horn. The returning leads said they liked the sound and the way they played. Tubas are about 10 pounds heavier than the Kings, so tuba players will get a real work-out on the field. To my ears, the Jupiter horns have a bigger sound.

Just a heads up- Jupiter website says the quantum tuba is 23lbs, King website says the King tuba is 29lbs.

weird... I've marched with both dynasty tubas, yamaha, king, and jupiter... by far the lightest 2 were yamaha and king... maybe their old models were 29 lbs... they were very bulky.

keep quiet about the horns and the camps

I love when corps go into 'secrecy' about what theyre doing. Not just blue stars. Its 150 people blowing into metal, banging on stuff, and spinning things, while wearing funny outfits, not national security here.

Just a heads up- Jupiter website says the quantum tuba is 23lbs, King website says the King tuba is 29lbs.

I can personally tell you that 23lbs is not accurate. I've held both a king and a quantum within 10 minutes of each other LOS for Finals Week. The quantum is more like 33lbs.

I can personally tell you that 23lbs is not accurate. I've held both a king and a quantum within 10 minutes of each other LOS for Finals Week. The quantum is more like 33lbs.

The Quantum is nowhere near that heavy.

I swear, all contra players are conditioned to completely lose their minds when talking about which horn is heavier :)

This is pretty unfortunate. From what I've heard, Jupiter has improved substantially over where they were, but they're still just not in the same league as King, Yamaha or Kanstul. Ever since Phantom made the switch to Jupiter, their storied low brass just hasn't been the same.

Face it, the lower brass sound has been missing since the switch to Bb. End of story.