Blue Stars Switch to Jupiter

You and I are going to be best friends. But out of all seriousness - I only brought multiple strand of thoughts and information into one post because there seems to be many different conversations occurring all trying to accomplish the same goal, which is giving an opinion on the Blue Star's switch the the Jupiter horns. From my experience and prior discussions with other experts, which actually DID take place, I can only say that the Blue Stars are going to make the horns do whatever they want them to - except have a thumping low brass section. I do salute the organization for having a brass program that continues to grow and develop its own unique sound. Time will only tell how the switch of horns impacts the line.

Well thanks for presuming that we're not able to follow the posts in an intellectual way and keep the thoughts coherent. blink.gif That said...

I learned long ago in my business that my toughest clients usually ended up being my best clients. I also learned that it's best to try to give someone so full of self aggrandizement a ladder with which to climb down off their high horse. So here's your chance...please share with us why, exactly, we should acquiesce to your being "The Expert". And I'm not interested in repeating a PM so please don't.

You are undoubtedly an expert in brass when compared to me, but why should I (and other brass neophytes) laud your opinions over the other demonstrably-qualified opinions here?

Oh, and a final observation of this post: If you are THE expert how could you have had discussions with other (un-named) "experts". In light of your opinion of yourself wouldn't it have been more accurate to state that you've "...had discussions with other brass players who didn't know as much as you"?

In lieu of the above you might consider simply changing your sig...blow.gif

Edited by garfield

Well thanks for presuming that we're not able to follow the posts in an intellectual way and keep the thoughts coherent. blink.gif That said...

I learned long ago in my business that my toughest clients usually ended up being my best clients. I also learned that it's best to try to give someone so full of self aggrandizement a ladder with which to climb down off their high horse. So here's your chance...please share with us why, exactly, we should acquiesce to your being "The Expert". And I'm not interested in repeating a PM so please don't.

You are undoubtedly an expert in brass when compared to me, but why should I (and other brass neophytes) laud your opinions over the other demonstrably-qualified opinions here?

Oh, and a final observation of this post: If you are THE expert how could you have had discussions with other (un-named) "experts". In light of your opinion of yourself wouldn't it have been more accurate to state that you've "...had discussions with other brass players who didn't know as much as you"?

In lieu of the above you might consider simply changing your sig...blow.gif

I am flattered that you are so interested in my qualifications. Unfortunately, I need not change my signature nor explain myself. If you are so serious about the content of one's signature, then I would actually suggest loosening up a little bit. Ever heard of sarcasm or humor? I think you might have used some in recent posts!

The un-named experts all come from various major distributors of brass instruments from around the country. Most notable would be the Washington Music Center, or Chuck Levins as it is commonly referred to. On staff are many who have come from different major instrument production companies, or people who have been top consultants for the development of many major instruments lines. I have spent much of my life trying out different instruments and discussing different goals of instrument companies with many of these representatives in an attempt to develop a master knowledge of the function and design of all brass instruments. I would be happy to share some of my findings with you in a personal message if truly interested, but if not, that information can remain between myself and my students and peers.

Again, just inserting my bit of sarcasm and humor into the world, but don't mind me. I'm only the expert.

I am flattered that you are so interested in my qualifications. Unfortunately, I need not change my signature nor explain myself. If you are so serious about the content of one's signature, then I would actually suggest loosening up a little bit. Ever heard of sarcasm or humor? I think you might have used some in recent posts!

The un-named experts all come from various major distributors of brass instruments from around the country. Most notable would be the Washington Music Center, or Chuck Levins as it is commonly referred to. On staff are many who have come from different major instrument production companies, or people who have been top consultants for the development of many major instruments lines. I have spent much of my life trying out different instruments and discussing different goals of instrument companies with many of these representatives in an attempt to develop a master knowledge of the function and design of all brass instruments. I would be happy to share some of my findings with you in a personal message if truly interested, but if not, that information can remain between myself and my students and peers.

Again, just inserting my bit of sarcasm and humor into the world, but don't mind me. I'm only the expert.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in your qualifications. I'm simply interested in giving you some room to justify your self-assigned status, and in giving myself some reason to believe that I should place any sort of "expert" weight to your posts. So far neither has been accomplished.

If you only care to share the moniker with us and the justification with your "students and peers" that's your choice, of course, but you shouldn't be bothered then if we treat your posts as nothing more than sarcasm and humor. Thanks for that clarification, none-the-less.

The world is full of experts. Really! Just ask them.

Oh, and welcome to DCP, where all opinions are welcome, expert and otherwise.w00t.gif

Edited by garfield

So, I'm interested in all "expert" opinions on the backpressure of the Jupiter horns. Is it a design flaw in the tubing design? Is it the tubing diameter? Is the solution to change the design to be more King- or Yamaha-like? Would those designs make the Jupiters more expensive and less of an alternative to the proven Kings or Yamahas?

Questions from a percussion guy and self-proclaimed non-expert in brass...

Of course your sarcasm would be crystalline if DCP would only install a tiny (985 byte) gif file. jimlad.gif

Edited by corpsband

So, I'm interested in all "expert" opinions on the backpressure of the Jupiter horns. Is it a design flaw in the tubing design? Is it the tubing diameter? Is the solution to change the design to be more King- or Yamaha-like? Would those designs make the Jupiters more expensive and less of an alternative to the proven Kings or Yamahas?

Questions from a percussion guy and self-proclaimed non-expert in brass...

You would actually be surprised if you knew who brassEXPERT really is, his drum corps resume (both as a member and teacher) is quite extensive. And yes backpressure is a commonly discussed problem with Jupiter's horns. There are many things that could be done so remedy this, the most notable being a change in the leadpipe that is used. It is even more noticeable if you compare it to another trumpet side by side (for this discussions sake, a Yamaha Xeno). The player will notice immediately after the first couple notes played that the Xeno is much more free blowing. This is just a small example, I'm sure brassEXPERT could shine more light on this issue, after all, he IS the expert.

You would actually be surprised if you knew who brassEXPERT really is, his drum corps resume (both as a member and teacher) is quite extensive. And yes backpressure is a commonly discussed problem with Jupiter's horns. There are many things that could be done so remedy this, the most notable being a change in the leadpipe that is used. It is even more noticeable if you compare it to another trumpet side by side (for this discussions sake, a Yamaha Xeno). The player will notice immediately after the first couple notes played that the Xeno is much more free blowing. This is just a small example, I'm sure brassEXPERT could shine more light on this issue, after all, he IS the expert.

No, frankly I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I'm hoping he chimes in so as to prove his expert opinion, and have it scrutinized by other "expert" opinions on here.

But just calling oneself an expert doesn't make it so. As I said, there are lots of experts - just ask them.

I'm actually interested in the more minute details of the Jupiter horns and why they have the reputation they do. It would seem incongruous to build an inferior horn to save design or manufacturing expenses, yet the reputation is repeated frequently. Is it a "cheap" design, or just a bad one? Will a proper fix make them less cost competitive and lose them market share? If a lead pipe change is the best answer it seems a relatively minor and inexpensive one to make a competitive horn, so why don't they do it?

These are questions not to challenge, but to help a drummer understand the logic of the manufacturer. And inquiring minds want to know...tongue.gif

Ugh...either you're really enjoying pushing the buttons here (most likely) or you're actually clueless enough to think anyone is going to be amazed by your self professed qualifications.

I don't get why people are hating on brassEXPERT... If it's cuz of his name, and signature that's silly. He brings reasonable thoughts to the discussion!

This is a good post for me to state that I have formally apologized to The Expert. I should have given him the chance to prove himself instead of attacking him.

His posts will prove whether or not he is an expert, not his signature and not me attacking him.

I'm hopeful he accepts my apology with the grace that I should have offered him.

I also apologize to the greater DCP community for dragging the discussion to a lower level instead of a higher one.