Blue Stars Switch to Jupiter

What's with the recent insurgence of brand new forum members? Is this an audition season thing or have the "need advice" and "blue stars switch to jupiter" type threads suddenly spawned the desire to post for the first time? Is everybody creating new names to troll with now?

On an on topic note: I'm going to second (or third) anything positive said about the Blue Stars' choice and the jupiter line. Even if the corps early to the party took a hit because of the quality of the instruments, they've gotten enough changed to seriously benefit those joining the Jupiter team now.

I wouldn't that say i'm 'brand new'...I mean i've been a member for a little while. I have to start sometime.

Not that I need to explain myself but I don't see what makes this topic any less legitimate than the other topics on the first page right now.

I think you need to take your rose colored glasses off here. The late 70s lines were still full of nickle-plated pea shooter contras. Combined with the average overblowin' bari line you had a low brass sound akin to a locomotive horn. Loud as hell, but not exactly the text book example of low brass. The King euphs and K-90s were some of the first decent G low brass I can remember. By the mid 80s many lines were starting to get a better concept of dark sound and the low brass started to really shine.

Today's Bb low brass is producing some wonderful dark sounds with little effort. In general it has taken a good deal of redesign and technique evolution to get the Bbs to project as well as the G horns. The high brass is a bit further along in this then the low brass, but lines like this past season's Bluecoat line prove that they can project and maintain a quality sound. Which is why I am baffled by the low 'wonderous goo' synth sound used by many pits. It is a curious effect, but not at all needed.

I understand that many folks miss that in your face 'drum corps' sound of yore. But a 'quality' low brass sound was rarely a part of that. I equate it to hearing glass packs on a car nowadays. It takes you back for a moment, but then there is a realization of how annoying that racket really was.

You can over generalize all you want, the fact is, and as I was only discussing lower brass, the sound isn't there now. If it were, as you indicated, they wouldn't need the "synthed" sound to make up for what the horns themselves can't produce.

Fear not, for it isn't the kind of horns a corps uses that makes them great. Phantom Regiment uses Jupiter now, and they're still the best sounding corps around.

Edited by losnickes

Fear not, for it isn't the kind of horns a corps uses that makes them great. Phantom Regiment uses Jupiter now, and they're still the best sounding corps around.

That is a very bold claim...

• Like 2

You can over generalize all you want, the fact is, and as I was only discussing lower brass, the sound isn't there now. If it were, as you indicated, they wouldn't need the "synthed" sound to make up for what the horns themselves can't produce.

You are wrong. Sorry. That's the gist of it. Lower brass sound is loud. I know. I hear it.

Maybe it was louder when you played because that's how you remember it. That's ok.

But, the lower brass sound today is....loud.

You're right - the nasty, overbearing sound of individuals overblowing substandard horns isn't there anymore. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Nah, just a statement of opinion, really takes no effort, courage, or hutspa whatsoever. I know I know, I didn't understand the whole "opinion" concept either till I was about 5-600 posts in. Hang in there it get's easier.

(next up...sarcasm 101)

Nah, just a statement of opinion, really takes no effort, courage, or hutspa whatsoever. I know I know, I didn't understand the whole "opinion" concept either till I was about 5-600 posts in. Hang in there it get's easier.

(next up...sarcasm 101)

nicely played...on the green in two.

That Phantom is the best sounding corps out there? I think we can all agree that they sound phenomenal.

• Like 1