Blue Stars Switch to Jupiter

The Quantum is nowhere near that heavy.

I swear, all contra players are conditioned to completely lose their minds when talking about which horn is heavier :)

I would love to see some verifiable quantitative data on this...I've seen all kinds of numbers for all brands and models of big horns, but never sure what to believe.

Are the marching tubas heavier than the contras were? My 4v Dynasty 5/4 G contra weighs 29lbs - verified by multiple weighings on my bathroom scale. My 2V Dynasty II contra is right at 18lbs.

I am very curious on where the other 4lbs or so would be added...

not to bring a dead argument back to life... but I believe the corps' first camp is over- any news on how the horns were? was it the apocalypse we all feared?

Not at all. I was sitting literally in the middle of the ensemble and it was the same old Frank Sullivan sound. We had to borrow mellos from Phantom, not sure how that affected things (if at all), but it was an awesome sound, beside some mellos who didn't learn their parts >_<

Say goodbye to that great brass sound they had.

Technique and Talent is more important then Tin.

Marched King for 2 summers.

Bought King Marching trumpet for personal marching band use.

Still have my "Kings of the Field" shirt......

Was disappointed I couldn't take the Jupiter trumpet home with me after camp.

Tell you enough?

Say goodbye to that great brass sound they had.

I can only hope this is sarcasm

The quantum brass are dark sounding. Very hard to over blow possibly due to how heavy they are. The Quantum contra is darker than the king one I played on last summer.

Last year JD shaw at phantom made some changes to the Mello design to address the back pressure issue.

Intonation and slotting on the quantum low brass is spot on. King euphs and contras have big problems playing concert f. (Go figure). Also the tuning trigger on the quantum tubas is not in the way and doesn't seem to get damaged like the king ones do. Big plus since I had to play all summer without a tuning kick out slide on my king.

The contra is so well braced that you dont realize how loud you really are playing when you are holding it. You could be givin er stagger breathing tons and still the sound that you hear is very muffled compared with other contras i have played.