Acoustic Enhancements to Lucas Oil Stadium

Also remember that at finals they are trying to create the most consistent environment for recordings and videos. Adjusting for varying light throughout the day, wind, and different temperatures would be a nightmare for the crew.

Throughout finals week they are constantly dailing in the levels so you get a perfect recording. As awesome as it is to see live, don't forget that many more people will see/hear the recording/video for years to come. They need to archive at the highest level possible.

Also, for many corps that don't get an opportunity to perform "under the lights" on tour, it's nice for them to be able to perform under the exact same conditions as the top groups (save for perhaps fewer people in the audience).

The sound is not as good as an outdoors show but equally, it's not as bad as some folk say.

Last year was my first Finals, and I found that the sound really was pretty bad. (Previously I had suspected that perhaps the situation was being exaggerated on DCP. Not so much.) Really, the music scores ought to go down between Allentown and Indianapolis. Also (and this didn't bother me!), I was surprised at how much of the voice sampling used in various shows was lost. With me was a friend, also at his first Finals, who unlike me does not follow the season closely, so all his impressions were first impressions. On several occasions he could not understand what was being said, or was not even aware that there was voice, so faint was it. These are easier to hear on the recordings than they were live.

(My friend had joined me at Allentown the previous year, his first trip there and my second, and he's told me that he found that much more enjoyable than Finals, even though it rained for much of the second night in 2011.)

(Edited to fix typo.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

• 1 month later...

Actually, as head of the organization responsible for putting the bodies in the seats, Dan Acheson is blaming himself.

He understands that, under him, DCI has failed to keep the drum corps activity culturally relevant.

...that DCI has failed to attract a new fan base.

...that drum corps is an entertainment medium that fails to entertain.

Lots of general statements - but here's a touchstone to consider: When you can go to a show and 3/4ths of the audience is wondering why the other 1/4th is standing and cheering at a Troopers' sunburst, then you'll know DCI is succeeding. But as long as the majority of each audience appreciates that historic move, Dan Acheson has failed at his task.

• 3 weeks later...

On several occasions he could not understand what was being said, or was not even aware that there was voice, so faint was it.

Ah! So, a positive! There aren't supposed to be voices in drum corps...if you can't hear them, then you're one step in the right direction!

• 11 months later...

Indoor drum corps makes as much sense as outdoor ping pong. Down with the dome, down with electronics, and down with narration!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

But archival isn't supposed to be the MO of the organization. Competition of an art/sport and music education are. Archival is to be secondary. And honestly, the sound in the dome stinks. It always has. It's not designed for concerts. At least not mostly acoustic concerts. If they have a concert in there, they have to use enough amplification so that each wavelength of sound reaches every seat they are selling equally. Film and recording crews have the technology to do more now that ever, in every type of environment. So that shouldn't be a major concern.

The only time I've felt sound in the dome was even just ok, was sitting about a dozen rows back directly on the 50. everywhere else sounds like mush, because the sound bounces around, and around, and cancels it's own wavelengths out.

Also remember that at finals they are trying to create the most consistent environment for recordings and videos. Adjusting for varying light throughout the day, wind, and different temperatures would be a nightmare for the crew.

Throughout finals week they are constantly dailing in the levels so you get a perfect recording. As awesome as it is to see live, don't forget that many more people will see/hear the recording/video for years to come. They need to archive at the highest level possible.

Also, for many corps that don't get an opportunity to perform "under the lights" on tour, it's nice for them to be able to perform under the exact same conditions as the top groups (save for perhaps fewer people in the audience).