DCI+Indianapolis

Question: Is DCI committed to fulfilling the Lucas Oil Stadium contract for the entire 10 year term?

Answer: (from Dan Acheson, DCI Executive Director and CEO)

The Drum Corps International board of directors fully intends to honor our long term commitment to the city of Indianapolis. The staff and the board of directors are confident our Indianapolis plan best serves the long-term interests of stability, sustainability, and future growth.

Edited by Roundtable Editor

• 2 weeks later...
Question: Is DCI committed to fulfilling the Lucas Oil Stadium contract for the entire 10 year term?

Answer: (from Dan Acheson, DCI Executive Director and CEO)

The Drum Corps International board of directors fully intends to honor our long term commitment to the city of Indianapolis. The staff and the board of directors are confident our Indianapolis plan best serves the long-term interests of stability, sustainability, and future growth.

With no replies to this in the last ten days, I thought I would weigh in. First let me call out the Roundtable Editor for asking a softball question. What else could he say....we intend to not honor the contract? Second, given the chance to elaborate Mr. Acheson has played it safe and won. No responses until now. The lack of effort to answer this question says it all to me. "The staff and board of directors are confident our Indianapolis plan best serves..." is that the best you could come up with?

Sounds pretty much like STAY THE COURSE, no matter what. Where have we heard that before?

With no replies to this in the last ten days, I thought I would weigh in. First let me call out the Roundtable Editor for asking a softball question. What else could he say....we intend to not honor the contract? Second, given the chance to elaborate Mr. Acheson has played it safe and won. No responses until now. The lack of effort to answer this question says it all to me. "The staff and board of directors are confident our Indianapolis plan best serves..." is that the best you could come up with?

Sounds pretty much like STAY THE COURSE, no matter what. Where have we heard that before?

IMHO -

it seems to me that the question that was asked is a legitimate question. If you have a different question or a follow up question - this would be the time and place to ask it.

As for the DCI answer - you were expecting DCI to say something different? "Well, we have this 10 year contract but every time we have a board meeting we discuss ways to break it. We just haven't found the right loophole yet."

Finally regarding the "STAY THE COURSE, no matter what" comment. Do you have something against the part of the answer that states that DCI is looking for "stability, sustainability and future growth"? Those seem like pretty good goals to me.

I would interpret the answer as "stay the course to try to achieve those goals".

That is far better than CHANGE the course, no matter what.

Again, IMHO.

Finally regarding the "STAY THE COURSE, no matter what" comment. Do you have something against the part of the answer that states that DCI is looking for "stability, sustainability and future growth"? Those seem like pretty good goals to me.

I would interpret the answer as "stay the course to try to achieve those goals".

That is far better than CHANGE the course, no matter what.

Again, IMHO.

Of course not how could anyone have any problem with those goals, but the answer is nothing less than boilerplate. I guess I hoped for a well thought out answer.

But seriously, is staying at Indy have anything to do with future growth? How can you grow drum corps by staying at the same place for ten years??????

To me, the lack of response means the community is ok with the answer. Namely - can we expect the rest of the term at LoS? Answer - yes. Well, ok then.

Mike

No Mike he framed the answer so that any response is a challenge to those high and lofty goals. I'm just the only one that bit.

Edited by baja

it was a multi pronged question that got chopped into 3 seperate questions, which I am ok with, as the author of said question.

and really, IMO, the lack of response says tons...and not that glowing of INDY

it was a multi pronged question that got chopped into 3 seperate questions, which I am ok with, as the author of said question.

and really, IMO, the lack of response says tons...and not that glowing of INDY

ok here's a response. We, a small group of 9, traveled many many miles to Indy in 2010. We had a good time. We can't go every year. It's too far for us but it's close for many many others, including you, I presume. Build it and they will come...it's built now, go if you're in the neighbourhood. 9 or 90 or 900 or 9,000. Demographics make sense. 9,000 has better odds.

it's a 9 hour drive for 3/4 hour flight depending on connections. but I have no desire to visit there again, especially for many years in a row