DCI+Indianapolis

Whatever happened to that long term commitment DCI had with East Lansing and Jacksonville back in the 90s?

oh it died roughly about a year after it was anounced

For clarification: Just because a thread doesn't get a reply during a certain number of days, doesn't mean we "agree" with it. It could also mean that we're groaning and saying "Oh look, it's this thread again."

• Like 1

well I said about :thumbup:

I thought it was less than a year.

it's a 9 hour drive for 3/4 hour flight depending on connections. but I have no desire to visit there again, especially for many years in a row

I happened to be in Indy for the 2009 show, and thought "what a nice venue" I was extremely surprised when I walked in (not knowing much about the stadium that happened to be just down the street from the hotel I was staying in, and only finding out that championships were there two days before I left) and saw that it was enclosed! (after applying sun screen :lol: )

Anyway..after reading that it was going to be there for the long run, and saw that the DCI offices were in the downtown area I thought (using the Church Lady voice) "how convenient"!

I guess for those that are traveling from the far reaches of the USA and Canada, it's sort of centrally located, but the west coast has a bit more of a trip to get there...although the east coast had to travel more when it was in Denver all those years...and Florida is a tad out of the way for MOST people...I guess Arrowhead Stadium was one of the MOST centrally located venues in the history..but hey...Indy is INDOOR...weather, which has only futzed up a few finals, is NOT a factor...and I guess it's better than the new stadium in Dallas!?!?

Looking at the history, it's been all over two years here, two years there, and a few single stops along the way....10 years IS a long time to have it but, as I said since the offices are there what are ya gonna do?

:smile: Grrrrr.. Wake up ya all.... DCI Offices built in downtown Indy at the same time the DCI championships are moved to Indy for 10 years equals only 1 #### thing that every one is affraid to say.

TAX INCENTIVES !!!!

More money to filter behind everyones back to the ( Bite my tongue hard :thumbup: ) G7 / G8 Super Corps, which are the only corps in DCI's eyes that deserve to stay in business.....

:smile: Grrrrr.. Wake up ya all.... DCI Offices built in downtown Indy at the same time the DCI championships are moved to Indy for 10 years equals only 1 #### thing that every one is affraid to say.

TAX INCENTIVES !!!!

More money to filter behind everyones back to the ( Bite my tongue hard :thumbup: ) G7 / G8 Super Corps, which are the only corps in DCI's eyes that deserve to stay in business.....

Umm...a decent try at establishing a conspiracy by the Evil Empire. One problem , though, with your contention...

DCI is not a taxable organization.

blink.gif

• Like 2

Umm...a decent try at establishing a conspiracy by the Evil Empire. One problem , though, with your contention...

blink.gif

don't let the facts ruin a good rant?

• Like 1

blink.gif

Hmmmmm, you make a good point my friend, but I am still of the mind that some type of incentives were thrown at DCI from Indy to get the 10 year deal which was gobbled up by the DCI brass rather it was good for ALL of drum corps or not. I stand 100 % behind the rest of my post....

Hmmmmm, you make a good point my friend, but I am still of the mind that some type of incentives were thrown at DCI from Indy to get the 10 year deal which was gobbled up by the DCI brass rather it was good for ALL of drum corps or not. I stand 100 % behind the rest of my post....

"No, really, it's impossible for this ship to sink! Let's just move the deck chairs over here and everything will be fine..."

You can stand by the rest of your post as you please. It is, after all, your post. ph34r.gif But...

Most surely there were incentives to attract DCI to Indy. I would assume, and have heard rumors of, incentives in corporate office rent, reduced costs to use the Oil Can, and a couple of others. But before you try to build a case of conspiracy around these consider this from Indy's position. DCI brings 30,000 people to town each year, many of whom stay in hotels and eat food at local restaurants, they drink copious amounts of spirits at local watering holes. They also buy gas and plane tickets on planes that land at the airport where they pay gate fees to land and take off again. They rent cars and take taxis. They visit tourist sites and spend money on those souvies. In effect, the Indy tourists and visitors bureau is inducing DCI to Indy the same way Columbus induces the Quarter Horse Congress to plant in their town. It's good business for the city.

DCI, on the other hand, gains some significant things in addition, not the least of which is a central location in a town that is quickly becoming the center of the universe in scholastic performing arts.

I don't doubt there are incentives; in fact, I'd be disappointed if there weren't. And those incentives may provide DCI with a fatter bottom line to split between the corps (so far, all of them). But these incentives are not part of some grand Clive Cussler-type scheme to take over the activity and kill small corps while enriching the G8. No matter how hard you try to build the conspiracy theory (which doesn't appear to be very hard, IMO), it just ain't so. You need proof (like a "presentation") to prove the theory, otherwise it's nothing more.

You can rearrange the chairs and claim you're right about your contention, but your Titanic argument is still going to sink. smile.gif

EDIT: BTW, it's DCI Brass, Percussion, and Color Guard.tongue.gif We drummers and spinners are tired of being marginalized. (Now, there's a conspiracy theory!)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1