DCI+Indianapolis

Hmmmmm, you make a good point my friend, but I am still of the mind that some type of incentives were thrown at DCI from Indy to get the 10 year deal which was gobbled up by the DCI brass rather it was good for ALL of drum corps or not. I stand 100 % behind the rest of my post....

Of course there were incentives....that was the whole point of the 10-year deal. And that has been public knowledge ever since the deal was announced. However, those incentives affect DCI's bottom line, which benefits more than just 8 corps.

• 2 weeks later...

:smile: Grrrrr.. Wake up ya all.... DCI Offices built in downtown Indy at the same time the DCI championships are moved to Indy for 10 years equals only 1 #### thing that every one is affraid to say.

TAX INCENTIVES !!!!

More money to filter behind everyones back to the ( Bite my tongue hard :thumbup: ) G7 / G8 Super Corps, which are the only corps in DCI's eyes that deserve to stay in business.....

Wow... can't decide whether to attribute this post to:

idiocy

naivety

or ignorance

...because there seems to be a lot of all three here.

• Like 1

... reduced costs to use the Oil Can...

The actual numbers on this are pretty amazing, and spell out just what kind of financial 'stability' Acheson talks about...

DCI paid approx. $200,000 for rental of the Georgia Dome for the 1-day regional last season.

For LOS for the entire 4 days (Wed-Sun), the bill was approx. $300,000 TOTAL. And for a VASTLY superior and larger building.

The actual numbers on this are pretty amazing, and spell out just what kind of financial 'stability' Acheson talks about...

DCI paid approx. $200,000 for rental of the Georgia Dome for the 1-day regional last season.

For LOS for the entire 4 days (Wed-Sun), the bill was approx. $300,000 TOTAL. And for a VASTLY superior and larger building.

uh the Colts had a game on Sunday.

might wanna go up a few posts and re-think that which you hurl out at others

uh the Colts had a game on Sunday.

might wanna go up a few posts and re-think that which you hurl out at others

Sorry, I meant Wed-Sat. The stadium was cleared shortly after midnight on Sunday morning. The real usage was Wednesday morning through Sunday early morning, which is (give-or-take) 4 days.

I have no idea how this relates to 'hurling' anything at others, unless you're just being cynical.

• 1 month later...

DCI cannot be all to all people. Build it and they will come. Where have I heard that before???

ohh and

submit a bid. Yeah that will work. :blink:

• 8 months later...

Just a suggestion ........ why not move Indy up a week .. name it the US Championships .. then have a real World Championships at a Real stadium.

It still honors the Championship portion with the Indy ppl ... it's the week before finals so it would still get a draw. I'm sure there is an issue with the 3 day event turning into a 1 day event ... but I think it's an option that should be explored.

And to answer anyone who would cry that JB Crum would be diminished .. just make it a 1 day event like it used to be. You can fit both in the same weekend. It's only a 10 hour drive down the road.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion ........ why not move Indy up a week .. name it the US Championships .. then have a real World Championships at a Real stadium.

It still honors the Championship portion with the Indy ppl ... it's the week before finals so it would still get a draw. I'm sure there is an issue with the 3 day event turning into a 1 day event ... but I think it's an option that should be explored.

And to answer anyone who would cry that JB Crum would be diminished .. just make it a 1 day event like it used to be. You can fit both in the same weekend. It's only a 10 hour drive down the road.

So, you want to lose 20,000 paid fans? See, Thursday and Friday...the people who go to Indy? They write checks and pay money. By mushing this into one day, you get a total final's take of 17,000 seats. Add up Thur - Sat and it's 38,000 paid seats.

Seems like simple math to me.

Now, if you want DCI in another stadium...then you need to spearhead a better deal than DCI has with Indy. So far, I don't think they have found one.

What I would agree with here is that once every five years let's take the show to the west coast. The last crowd in Pasedena was awesome. Biggest in a long time.

• Like 1

So, you want to lose 20,000 paid fans? See, Thursday and Friday...the people who go to Indy? They write checks and pay money. By mushing this into one day, you get a total final's take of 17,000 seats. Add up Thur - Sat and it's 38,000 paid seats.

Seems like simple math to me.

Now, if you want DCI in another stadium...then you need to spearhead a better deal than DCI has with Indy. So far, I don't think they have found one.

What I would agree with here is that once every five years let's take the show to the west coast. The last crowd in Pasedena was awesome. Biggest in a long time.

All good points.

I know J. Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown is a shrine to many people... I've been there myself any number of times for DCI and DCA shows; heck, my corps won three DCA titles there when I marched.

But IMO, the LOS venue... AND the city of Indianapolis.... are far superior for a championship event than Allentown... which, as a city, has seen better days, to say the least.

I'm fine with the "rotate the show to the West coast from time to time" idea, too.

This very well might be the first time I've agreed with Tom Brace on so many points. :tongue:

All good points.

I know J. Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown is a shrine to many people... I've been there myself any number of times for DCI and DCA shows; heck, my corps won three DCA titles there when I marched.

But IMO, the LOS venue... AND the city of Indianapolis.... are far superior for a championship event than Allentown... which, as a city, has seen better days, to say the least.

I'm fine with the "rotate the show to the West coast from time to time" idea, too.

This very well might be the first time I've agreed with Tom Brace on so many points. :tongue:

Right. Scary, huh?