DCI+Indianapolis

DCI is in Indy because Indy has dedicated a great deal of effort to making the city a travel destination. We have a huge wasteland of an abandoned airport for the same reason; Indianapolis is striving to make itself a destination. DCI helps bring thousands of people into the city to spend $$$. At a time when money isn't coming in from football.

It's all about money. Find a venue that will offer DCI more incentive and they'd move. Does anyone really think this is about anything other than a mutually beneficial financial/logistical elements?

Just a suggestion ........ why not move Indy up a week .. name it the US Championships .. then have a real World Championships at a Real stadium.

It still honors the Championship portion with the Indy ppl ... it's the week before finals so it would still get a draw. I'm sure there is an issue with the 3 day event turning into a 1 day event ... but I think it's an option that should be explored.

And to answer anyone who would cry that JB Crum would be diminished .. just make it a 1 day event like it used to be. You can fit both in the same weekend. It's only a 10 hour drive down the road.

Re-reading this post... I realized I was incorrect when I thought you meant that the championship itself should be moved to J. Birney Crum. You are talking about making DCI East a one-day event.

However, I still don't agree with the "move Indy up a week" idea. And I think LOS is a "real" stadium.

I wonder how many people who complain about drum corps in an indoor environment would also be complaining if the championship was at an outdoor venue and bad weather disrupted and/or compromised the event.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would love to see it move to Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. It's by far the best stadium in the country. And With it being centrally located, it would be a perfect venue.

Edited by BigD629

I would love to see it move to Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. It's by far the best stadium in the country. And With it being centally located, it would be a perfect venue.

what's the sound like in there?

I can't imagine it'd be cheap tho

what's the sound like in there?

I can't imagine it'd be cheap tho

But imagine the video shots of drum corps up on that huge screen! :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Umm...a decent try at establishing a conspiracy by the Evil Empire. One problem , though, with your contention...

DCI is not a taxable organization.

blink.gif

DCI is not a taxable organization, but the state of ID is... I'm sure the state and local governments love the extra benefits from an extra million dollars or more in tax monies flowing in their accounts. ie: hotels, food venues, bars, gas, tolls....

DCI is not a taxable organization, but the state of ID is... I'm sure the state and local governments love the extra benefits from an extra million dollars or more in tax monies flowing in their accounts. ie: hotels, food venues, bars, gas, tolls....

I get your point here, but this is all wrong. ID is most certainly tax exempt. It's government pays no taxes, but it's citizens do.

Still, your point is valid. The financial shot in the arm is nice enough to be enticing. Heck, I'd go to ID...

• 1 month later...

Umm...a decent try at establishing a conspiracy by the Evil Empire. One problem , though, with your contention...

DCI is not a taxable organization.

blink.gif

This is true only in theory.

Non-profit organizations still pay millions in taxes. They pay taxes in various forms every single day, from sales to property, from facility taxes to personal taxes (as an employee of a nonprofit).

There is zero doubt that Indy is cheaper than the previous location in total taxes paid by employees and the organization.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does 2008 (Bloomington, IN) count as one of the 10 years in the current contract? I know it was supposed to before Championships got moved. Did the contract get modified, or did year one of ten start in 2009?

Really just trying to figure out how many more years there are for Indy (not that Championships are moving anywhere anytime soon, even after the contract is up, that is).