2013?

minus the Kentucky Derby, all of those other host areas offer a hell of a lot more than Indy does....and Indy has a stadium with a roof on it, which doesn't mix with drum corps

That's debatable, but I'm sorry, I don't care about what they offer, I go to watch drum corps.

And the roof opens if they want to do it.

• Like 1

That's debatable, but I'm sorry, I don't care about what they offer, I go to watch drum corps.

And the roof opens if they want to do it.

Opening up the roof isn't as simple as just flipping a switch. There is a process, planning, a protocol and extra costs involved.

Also, despite the fact that there is a retractible roof, the stadium has no real drainage system, so even if there is a very slight chance of rain, the roof needs to remain shut.

Back to the topic of 2013, as soon as the initial Indy contract expires, they should expand the options to rotate again. Keep Indy in the mix, but rotate cities. Cities where they already have something going on would work... also cities geographically distributed and tied to more interesting things to do would be cool.

If I ran the zoo, the rotation would go something like this:

Atlanta (Georgia Dome)

San Antonio (Alamodome)

Indy (LOS)

NYC ( Meadowlands)

Bay Area (Stanford)

This spreads things out well enough geographically, and also puts finals in cities where there are more things to do as a destination for both young adults and families. More attention placed on making things to do around the shows (stuff having absolutely nothing to do with drum corps... but definitely not Disney) could really get people coming more regularly or get people back to shows that haven't been in awhile.

Also, the US dollar is VERY VERY low right now... about 20% less than it was not so long ago. It could really be worth the effort to aggressively target drum corps fans in europe and asia to put special packages together especially for this segment. It could be for like the last 2 weeks... where fans go from one city to another on busses and get to see a little bit of the country.

Maybe this isn't something that DCI should necessarily take on, but could be interesting project for a corps that would like to have a go of it, make a little bit of money in the process.

Also, the US dollar is VERY VERY low right now... about 20% less than it was not so long ago. It could really be worth the effort to aggressively target drum corps fans in europe and asia to put special packages together especially for this segment. It could be for like the last 2 weeks... where fans go from one city to another on busses and get to see a little bit of the country.

Maybe this isn't something that DCI should necessarily take on, but could be interesting project for a corps that would like to have a go of it, make a little bit of money in the process.

The 2 week "Drum Corps Experience tour" sounds like a good idea. I think insidetheforty does this already but something official would be even better.

Also, targeting DCI fans in europe may pay dividends but I don't think DCI finals being in Indy would be a deciding factor over wether to go or not. We don't get to see DCI as much as you guys so if we can afford the trip then we'd be happy no matter where it is.

Personally I'd like to go somewhere new everytime but it's only 3 or 4 days out of an extended vacation so Indy for me isn't as much of an issue as it is for the U.S based DCI fans.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

The 2 week "Drum Corps Experience tour" sounds like a good idea. I think insidetheforty does this already but something official would be even better.

Also, targeting DCI fans in europe may pay dividends but I don't think DCI finals being in Indy would be a deciding factor over wether to go or not. We don't get to see DCI as much as you guys so if we can afford the trip then we'd be happy no matter where it is.

Personally I'd like to go somewhere new everytime but it's only 3 or 4 days out of an extended vacation so Indy for me isn't as much of an issue as it is for the U.S based DCI fans.

It could really be pretty interesting... two groups of tours... one for 3 weeks another for 2 weeks.

If schedule would be similar next season, three weeks out could start from Atlanta on.

On the trip you could have days in Atlanta, Orlando, DC, Philly, NYC, and Chicago...

Fly in either Atlanta or DC (depending on which week) and fly out of Chicago.

... and as Europeans, they'd still have a good 4-5 weeks left over of their vacation. :-)

It could really be pretty interesting... two groups of tours... one for 3 weeks another for 2 weeks.

If schedule would be similar next season, three weeks out could start from Atlanta on.

On the trip you could have days in Atlanta, Orlando, DC, Philly, NYC, and Chicago...

Fly in either Atlanta or DC (depending on which week) and fly out of Chicago.

... and as Europeans, they'd still have a good 4-5 weeks left over of their vacation. :-)

Perhaps you could choose a tour to follow depending on who your favourite corps is. Access to practice days etc.

Lots of potential here but I'm not sure DCI would be keen either setting it up or administering it. If somebody was to do all the work then DCI may be happy to put their name to it.

Oh, and there are a number of shows in the same location every year.

Allentown, San Antonio, DATR, Pacific Procession, among others.

Allentown isn't exactly a garden spot, yet the same people go year after year.

I have been to San Antonio a couple of times. The only thing I see apart from the show is a restaurant or two, the hotel and the airport.

They go to see the corps, not the location.

Oh, and there are a number of shows in the same location every year.

Allentown, San Antonio, DATR, Pacific Procession, among others.

Allentown isn't exactly a garden spot, yet the same people go year after year.

I have been to San Antonio a couple of times. The only thing I see apart from the show is a restaurant or two, the hotel and the airport.

They go to see the corps, not the location.

Keep the shows in the same spots... some years they are regionals... other years it is finals.

The point of this thread i.e. are we moving away from LOS for 1 year... 2013 has been lost.

The answer to that question would seem to be no. The stadium is available for finals weekend and there is no other "big" conference in town that would use up all the hotel rooms.

The point of this thread i.e. are we moving away from LOS for 1 year... 2013 has been lost.

The answer to that question would seem to be no. The stadium is available for finals weekend and there is no other "big" conference in town that would use up all the hotel rooms.

Our small group liked Indy in 2010. We don't want to go every year. We may go to DATR 2012. After that, not sure, maybe Indy? Too far in in terms of time and home. I personally live one day at a time. I do agree that there's lots of hotels in Indy :-)

It will not move, reason, money, it makes economic sense to keep it in one place and in the central US, and I believe DCI will always be in a dome from here on out, the amount of money to be lost for a rain out is simply too great.

• Like 1