2013?

That's debatable, but I'm sorry, I don't care about what they offer, I go to watch drum corps.

And the roof opens if they want to do it.

the roof opening makes no difference. the giant windows make the point moot.

but hey hey hey hey if if if if you you you like like like the the the echo echo echo and goo goo goo goo goo

Oh, and there are a number of shows in the same location every year.

Allentown, San Antonio, DATR, Pacific Procession, among others.

Allentown isn't exactly a garden spot, yet the same people go year after year.

I have been to San Antonio a couple of times. The only thing I see apart from the show is a restaurant or two, the hotel and the airport.

They go to see the corps, not the location.

sorry to tell you, but more and more fans build things in the local area into their trip.

• Like 1

Too bad civilization will be destroyed by then...

This is a good thread even if it is strictly academic. :shutup:

sorry to tell you, but more and more fans build things in the local area into their trip.

Is this your opinion? Is this based on something other than anecdotal evidence? Can you support that assertion?

No wonder Finals attendance has decreased by about 10,000 over the past decade.

Except for Pasadena ... a record crowd. Nice weather. No humidity. No bugs. :thumbup:

• Like 4

Is this your opinion? Is this based on something other than anecdotal evidence? Can you support that assertion?

Sure. It's been touted in PR releases and tourism bureau info. Why do you think they advertise all there is to do in those areas. I mean...in Pasadena, people went all overSoCal. orlando...well til Disney priced themselves out they went nuts. I know lots of people explored Boston and Denver

It could really be pretty interesting... two groups of tours... one for 3 weeks another for 2 weeks.

If schedule would be similar next season, three weeks out could start from Atlanta on.

On the trip you could have days in Atlanta, Orlando, DC, Philly, NYC, and Chicago...

Fly in either Atlanta or DC (depending on which week) and fly out of Chicago.

... and as Europeans, they'd still have a good 4-5 weeks left over of their vacation. :-)

And doesn't the whole continent take the month of August off for "vacation"?

Seems a perfect time to attract them here.

I will back Jeff up on this 100%. For a lot of people my age (30's), they only get a couple weeks of vacation/paid-time-off per year. If I'm going to bring my other half with me for 3 or 4 days to Indianapolis for DCI, there had better be something in it for her as well.

Last month I was the chairperson for the Pioneer 50th Anniversary Reunion. I had repeated inquiries from out of town alumni regarding other attractions/events nearby that they could visit as part of their trip to Milwaukee for the reunion. I ended up putting up a whole page on the website of local attractions in addition to putting up links to local tourism agencies. Point being, people were willing to come and dedicate a day to the reunion, but also wanted to take in a Brewer's game, Summerfest, and even local state parks.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

Regarding 2013, I have two words:

Neyland Stadium

In addition to having more seats than you could shake a stick at (over 100,000 total, at least 30-40,000 on whichever side they pick to be "home"), Knoxville, TN is 40 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (one of my favorite places in the world). There is also a pretty decent amusement park (Dollywood), lots of hotels and restaurants, and plenty of other things to do. Plus, Knoxville is within a day's drive of 65% of the U.S. population. And on the way, you may pass through Nashville, Louisville/Lexington, Roanoke/DC, Asheville, and/or Atlanta/Chattanooga, all of which have TONS of cool things to do. Their airport is big enough to land any airplane in existence (thanks to sharing the runways with a U.S. Air Force Base)

Knoxville is used to big crowds (100,000+ several times a year) and they already have traffic plans ready to go. :-) Plus, the UT campus is beautiful in the fall, and you'll love the riverwalk. If you're looking for nightlife, Downtown/The Old City is for you.

In any case, people seem to not be thrilled with ten years in the same city. Taking a year off in the middle seems like a great opportunity to me.

Meanwhile they had to cancel open class prelims due to rain.

Bet they wouldn't have minded playing in a dome.

Look, I am not saying 10 years in one place doesn't get old, it does. I'd love nothing better than to see it in Denver regularly. But recurrence and stability makes planning, coordinating, and running an event easier. I have been involved in running many activities, and it is always easier to do something you have done before. It also tends to reduce costs when you can negotiate long term commitments.

I am not saying SOME people don't take the opportunity to include the local area on a trip, some do. But there are a lot of us that come in for the championship, watch the shows then go right back home too.

I am not saying Indy is a happening tourist hot spot, but it is no worse than Madison, and I know a lot of people that wish it were in Madison every year.

• Like 1