2013?

And doesn't the whole continent take the month of August off for "vacation"?

Seems a perfect time to attract them here.

Absolutely. Impossible to get anything done in the summer here. The woman has a month long residency somewhere with her orchestra each summer (Japan last summer, Switzerland this)... so, thinking it is definitely the states for me next summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to lie... I was looking forward to finals in 2013 being anywhere but LOS. I thought finals in 2008 was great compared to 2009 & 2010. I like hearing the sound the performers are making, not a mix of the sound they are making plus the sound they were making 2 seconds ago.

I still remember all the hype on the fact this stadium was being designed with acoustics in mind. Oops.

They may have tried to market the stadium as being designed with acoustics in mind, but these newer batch of professional football stadiums are more likely constructed to offer more of the high end luxury sky-boxes that the big shots and corporations love. All of those right angles involved with the sky-boxes are terrible for sound.

DCI should never commit to a venue that hasn't even built. It may have looked good on paper, but the result was being stuck with a long term contract in a stadium that was awful for drum corps.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Some people have mentioned it as being part of their vacation plans, but some of the worst attendance was when Finals was in Orlando, "the vacation capital of the world." I wonder if there would be this much complaining about the same location every year if they had decided (could decide) to host Finals at Camp Randall for 10 years.

...for the record, I have no opinion about this (just being the devil's advocate), and I have not been to Finals in Indy. Then again, I have not ever watched a Finals... I have just performed in them. Since then, I just watch the Atlanta Regional each year. It takes place one to two weeks before Finals so all of the new endings are in and the shows are just about Finals ready.

Honestly, when it comes to stability, I think DCI is looking at much more than just a couple of shows at the end of the season. The regionals are where they needed to get the attendance up, and I think they have.

• 2 weeks later...

Point made. Point confirmed. Thanks for playing.

It is my intent to not go to DCI while it is in Indy, and thus far, I have kept to that. Since we've got some corps coming west this year, there's almost no need for me to leave the state.

Why don't you want to go to DCI in Indy?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dci championships should be moved across the country to allow all regions to benifit from the finals not only dci , is there some kind of remumeration given for it to be always held at indy?

• 4 months later...

Why don't you want to go to DCI in Indy?

1) Expense. Plane tickets are around $400, + a car and hotel (motel 6 is around $50 a night)

2) Distance. Driving is around 34 hours. Not an option

3) Indy sucks. I have been there for a few finals, and for business reasons. I would NEVER go there on vacation or on a personal trip. Even San Antonio has the River Walk, the large water park, and the Alamo. Indy in August...

BTW, I am not so sure that DCI cares much about the fans anyway. Maybe they want to give local people a new way to spend their money. But as a fan, the venue is not attractive enough to warrant more than a single visit. Unfortunately, as a fan, the only decent way to enjoy a show is in person.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seattle.

Seattle is the best place in the world in mid August. It averages 76 degrees, and 0.97 inches of rain in August. Everything is green and comfortable. We have 2 good choices as far as stadiums go. It is a great destination for the Drum Corps traveler, because NOBODY has ever traveled to Seattle for a Drum Corps show. The Northwest could use the exposure to the activity.

• Like 1