Marching Cymbals

• 3 weeks later...

as many will tell you... marching plates isnt discouraged, its just ineffective and inefficient... there is no music reason to waste 4 to 5 musicians on something that could be easily done from the front.

Hmmmm.... however to be consistent, you have to also admit that your reasoning has to apply to any instrument; because there is no ‘musical’ reason, for example, for nine snare drummers to march around on the field and those snare drums could also be easily performed by people in the front ensemble.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.... however to be consistent, you have to also admit that your reasoning has to apply to any instrument; because there is no ‘musical’ reason, for example, for nine snare drummers to march around on the field and those snare drums could also be easily performed by people in the front ensemble.

Depravity.

I love SCV for still marching Cymbals. Every corps should do it. I miss the visuals & antics of Cymbal lines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love SCV for still marching Cymbals. Every corps should do it. I miss the visuals & antics of Cymbal lines.

Luckily they've made a brief comeback. SCV, Academy, Colts, Crossmen, Pio, and I think Spirit have them now. Madison got rid of theirs, but at least some groups have kept the tradition alive

• 1 month later...

The "you can get more out of cymbals by putting them in the pit" argument has always been spurious. That can be said of the entire drum corps minus the guard. You can always get more musicality out of percussion by making them stationary, giving them more instruments and so for. You can get more out of brass by sitting them down in chairs and letting them play concert instruments. Drum corps has always been about adding a marching and visual element to the music. Why march at all if you're just going to say "you can do more with ___ by putting them in the pit"? That can be said of anything.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

To me, the reason for the Pit was the instruments were deemed too heavy to carry, or too big to carry, even though I know they used to march Tymps. No way someone today is marching a marimba. or the concert tymps they use now....no one would want to see that anyways. and sure they have added numerous things that could be marched but alot of those instruments are only played for a few measures during the entire show.

Cymbals are different. They are not only musical, but visual as well. They sound different when played from different parts of the field. Musically changing they way they sound affecting the program by putting them all over the place versus sitting up in the pit. SVC has revolutionized plate playing over the years and most corps that march now have tried to emulate that style. The things they do with cymbals cannot be done in the pits without having someone dedicated to them at all times. Cymbals are an instrument within themselves as SVC has taught everyone. When I marched, cymbal players were normally less experienced percussionist's that could learn to play them at concert levels while learning other fields of percussion at the same time. This also allowed for a corps to look bigger while fielding more people. In today's Drum Corps the kids are soo much more experienced and directors and staff want those extra people for other positions, Corps marching Cymbals are few and far between saddly.

I feel DCI should add 4 to 5 more people to the max number allowed on the field to account for Cymbals....they did it for the pit crew, Cymbals should be treated the same.

• Like 1