I need a Crown Tryout Piece On Baritone

I am trying out for Crown this year but I wont be able to go to any of the camps. Any suggestions on what to play for my tryout piece?

I am trying out for Crown this year but I wont be able to go to any of the camps. Any suggestions on what to play for my tryout piece?

Are you trying out for the experience of auditioning?

Are you serious about making the corps or are you trying out for experience?

I'll be honest with you, if you can't make any of the camps, I'll give you a snowballs chance in hell at making the corps. 0% chance. Sorry boutcha. Thanks for volunteering.

If you are serious about making a corps, any corps, (not to mention a corps that is probably very difficult to make right now given recent popularity) then you make it a priority. You change life around to make it happen.

Understand, friend. Drum corps is hard. It involves sacrifice and difficult choices.

If you are serious about making the corps, then move some #### around and get your ### to camp. It'll pay off. Part of your audition is musical, yes, but it's also a chance for the staff to see you move and to see what kind of person you are. You absolutely can not get that from a 5 minute audition video.

Especially at Crown. They are a hot item right now. Very good. Very competitive. Very popular. Every high school bando in the country right now would give their left ball to make the corps (much like The Cavaliers at the beginning of the 2000s). And that doesn't take into account all the returning members they probably have. Kids that are coming back to get the corps to the next level; win DCI.

Sorry. I don't mean to be so blunt. Just a little advise from a FMM and staff member.

Are you serious about making the corps or are you trying out for experience?

I'll be honest with you, if you can't make any of the camps, I'll give you a snowballs chance in hell at making the corps. 0% chance. Sorry boutcha. Thanks for volunteering.

If you are serious about making a corps, any corps, (not to mention a corps that is probably very difficult to make right now given recent popularity) then you make it a priority. You change life around to make it happen.

Understand, friend. Drum corps is hard. It involves sacrifice and difficult choices.

If you are serious about making the corps, then move some #### around and get your ### to camp. It'll pay off. Part of your audition is musical, yes, but it's also a chance for the staff to see you move and to see what kind of person you are. You absolutely can not get that from a 5 minute audition video.

Especially at Crown. They are a hot item right now. Very good. Very competitive. Very popular. Every high school bando in the country right now would give their left ball to make the corps (much like The Cavaliers at the beginning of the 2000s). And that doesn't take into account all the returning members they probably have. Kids that are coming back to get the corps to the next level; win DCI.

Sorry. I don't mean to be so blunt. Just a little advise from a FMM and staff member.

+1. Even if you're a great player, I guarantee you that there's another great player trying out for your spot in Crown that CAN make it to the camps. If you REALLY can't make the camps, I wouldn't bother unless you simply want the feedback. You aren't getting into a fine organization like CC if you can't be there to help the group get better.

However, if you're looking for pieces to work on, find something from a method book, or perhaps look at the state solo list for your area. That'd be something good to try out on.

EDIT: After seeing where you're from, I do think it's awesome that you're trying out. Hopefully you can get them to work with you. Definitely be in contact with the corps' staff, let them know the situation, and go from there.

Edited by BroncoTrooper

First of all, check out where the OP is from. Yea, might be a little more than a few hundred to go to a camp just to audition.

If you're good, they won't just shut the door on you. They could want you to do the same tape assignments as the rest of the hornline every month. My advice is let the caption head know your situation and what their policy has been for, say, members from Japan.

First of all, check out where the OP is from. Yea, might be a little more than a few hundred to go to a camp just to audition.

If you're good, they won't just shut the door on you. They could want you to do the same tape assignments as the rest of the hornline every month. My advice is let the caption head know your situation and what their policy has been for, say, members from Japan.

1. Didn't notice. Good call

2. Not buying this. I marched with and taught more than a few kids from Japan and they were at almost every single camp.

Edited by contrajedi8

I am not on the Crown staff, and in NO way do I speak for the organization, but I'd think if you can play last year's "Asphalt Cocktail" baritone solo verbatim, you'd probably earn a spot SOMEWHERE in their hornline :) Good luck to you.