DVD Shipping Date - Any Updates?

I got my finals DVDs today! :thumbup: I'm very pleased with everything. This is much much better than the 2009 DVD.

YAY....I finally received my Finals/Alumni/Mini Corps yesterday. Again like so many others, the Packaging was top notch!

I watched the mini corps first.....Golden Eagles and Mass Brass. The sound and picture quality are EXCELLENT! (Kudos to Mass Brass.....you really did sound GREAT!)

I watched the Cabs next.....again...sound and picture quality EXCELLENT!

Then I watched what was probably my second favorite corps this past year....Empire.

Sound quality EXCELLENT....picture quality....not so excellent. Like many others before me, the picture was "flickering".

Can I make a suggestion? Next year when you do the "High Camera"....please don't zoom in and out. You are missing out one other things that are going on, on the sides of the field when you do that. During Empire's show, I noticed that approx every 5 seconds, the camera zoomed in and focused on things happening on the 50, then approx 5 saeconds later, it zoomed out. During the time it zoomed in you missed the things that were going on with Dorothy's House and later with the Witches Castle...2 MAJOR components in Empire's show....you missed it all! You hear it, but you don't see it. The zoom covered approx 10 yards on each side of the field...just enough to miss the major theatrical parts of the show. I was disappointed with that.

What is the purpose of the High Camera if you can't see it all?

Just my $.02

Edited by FPonzo

<snip>

Can I make a suggestion? Next year when you do the "High Camera"....please don't zoom in and out. You are missing out one other things that are going on, on the sides of the field when you do that. During Empire's show, I noticed that approx every 5 seconds, the camera zoomed in and focused on things happening on the 50, then approx 5 saeconds later, it zoomed out. During the time it zoomed in you missed the things that were going on with Dorothy's House and later with the Witches Castle...2 MAJOR components in Empire's show....you missed it all! You hear it, but you don't see it. The zoom covered approx 10 yards on each side of the field...just enough to miss the major theatrical parts of the show. I was disappointed with that.

What is the purpose of the High Camera if you can't see it all?

Just my $.02

I agree.... I was surprised to see the cam pan and zoom on "High Camera" during the alumni show (the only set I've had a chance to view so far). I imagine that, especially with the Cabs alumni, this was caused by the zoom being employed a bit to begin with. With some corps, it's ok to let the full screen go from 20 to 20 yard lines (Park City and Sky for example) and be able to see the entire corps fill the screen and enjoy the show. But with Cabs Alumni (and I guess I'll see it on ES, too) the cam had to pan.....

I'd rather wish I could see something in more detail than wish I could see what I was missing off-screen..... my choice when viewing high camera.... I can always watch the director's cut for the close ups, etc. add my $.02 to Frank's ....we're up to $0.04 so far.

The sound was terrific. I can't wait to watch the mini corps today. I'm saving the Finals package for an evening when I can watch from start to finish in one sitting.

The quality is excellent! Great job Box 5...... I give it 93.625 so far (sorry...gotta leave room for what follows).

Joe in NJ

Priority shipping to North Jersey was 7 (sent) 11 (received).

Packaging is superb

IMHO more ghosting on the alumni disc than finals and minicorps.

I agree with the Screaming Eagle , to miss the witch melting is inexcusable , overall camera work good.

So far my wife has been home , so audio is less than blasting. IMHO the pits are too loud ( espec Bucs ) , high brass dominates and low brass seems a bit muddy. Also mics seem very directional , many individuals stand out.

( hope3fully this will change with a twist of the volume dial!

My overall opinion - very good start - i will buy again - Box 5 - listen to these posts - these guys are accurate!

frankiE

Got mine (finals dvd) yesterday, I see the flickering/ghosting that everyone is talking about. But compared to what we used to have this is miles beyond.

Only comment?

Oh boy you almost missed the Witch melting in Statesmen's show, caught it at the last second, whew! haha

I agree with the Screaming Eagle , to miss the witch melting is inexcusable , overall camera work good.

frankiE

LOL.....Screaming Eagle.....I like that!!!

LOL.....Screaming Eagle.....I like that!!!

I was hoping you would!

In an era of squeaky no-tones fist pumping because they didn't crack , I am reminded of your performance at the Bridgemen's TOC a few years back , IMHO ( even though only an exhibition ) I have never heard such volume , clarity and tonality while playing in the stratospheric register!

Good Luck this coming year!

I was hoping you would!

In an era of squeaky no-tones fist pumping because they didn't crack , I am reminded of your performance at the Bridgemen's TOC a few years back , IMHO ( even though only an exhibition ) I have never heard such volume , clarity and tonality while playing in the stratospheric register!

Good Luck this coming year!

You are a good and kind man!! :worthy:

Hopefully I will be able to recapture some of those notes with the competing corps this coming year! First year on a Bb for me in "drum corps"....should be very intersting!

See you on the 50!

I received mine Friday, but it has been a busy weekend so I have only watched the disc that had the Bucs, encores, awards ceremony and Star United...didn't notice any of the flickering or ghosting mentioned previously; the video quality is excellent but I'm underwhelmed with the audio quality. Probably due to mic placement, but the pit is at times too dominant in the audio track...to the point where the hornline and drums are getting lost. I'm thinking it's mic placement because the problem is non existant in Star United ("pit" was behind the horns) and is less pronounced in the encores where the whole corps is up on the front sideline. The problem may also be with our antiquated surround sound system; I will be watching them on another set that doesn't have the surround sound and then I will be able to tell for sure.