Why are corps so dirty the first few weeks of tour?

There might be some "challenges" that we don't see with this kid.. But posting such a ridiculous idea and backing it with a goofy band video... well, do the math...

It's not just lesson in Drum Corps, but a lesson in life... The "THEY ARE ALL WINNERS" philosophy should be used on the very very young... or the challenged. He posted 2008 H.S. band, he is 25 years old(?) Viewed the 2002 show, (H.S. age maybe..) Not Clean. But some cool drill.

Here is his post from Nov 14th 2010... sounds like he knows what easy, so then I question why this thread was started... motive??

DCISUPERFAN:I enjoy marching band to a great degree. Not nearly as much as drum corps, but I still love marching band. However, I really dislike/almost hate the BoA organization. The judging system that they have in place sucks, they are expensive, and reward bands that have craploads of money. The judging system revolves directly around cleanness of programs. Nothing about innovation, difficulty, or anything. Just how clean the band is. So band programs become shorter and shorter and easier and easier so they can be as squeaky clean as possible for the judges. Its terrible.

It's not an "all winners" philosophy. It's that, while this kid is obviously dead wrong, he is the future of our activity and he just got treated like crap. Plain and simple. We all start ignorant. But I would much rather see the retired generation being a bit more understanding of the ones who are gearing up for auditions this year or next. Some obviously know more then others, but that's how it is.

With 3 full weeks of pre tour, and several weekend long camps I would think that corps would be pretty clean... I look at the marching band I marched with, we would be relatively clean about a month into rehearsals, and we would only practice 4 times a week for 3 hours. Are corps just pretty dirty because their programs are so intense, or what? I just think that if my band was given 3 full weeks of rehearsal we would be ridiculously clean to the point of almost perfection. I know our programs arent as difficult, but we had harder programs than anyone else in my state did, so what do you think???

Oh boy.........................I hope you put on your flame retardant suit!!!!

Hey I have an idea...let's compare a skateboard with a Ferrari.

To be fair, the skateboard rolls fairly straight while the Ferrari pulls a little to the left...

Ouch. I have been beaten into a pulp. Probably shouldnt have said anything about my band. Here is a video of us 2 years ago at about 2 weeks of cleaning -
I am saying that show could have been very clean in 3 full weeks (10 hours a day) of cleaning. Thats all I was trying to say.

I would LOVE to march drum corps more than anything int his world pretty much. However I am of the LDS faith, and serving a Mission from 19-21 the exact years that I would be able to march, and therefore unable to do so. How I would love DCI to raise the age to 23. Anyway, thanks for the read, I guess I am just completely and totally arrogant.

No, you are NOT ARROGANT, but some of us who have poked at you are.

You are just..........ignorant's a strong word..........UNINFORMED. We all weren't born "knowing everything" about drum corps, and you won't learn it overnight. Some of what you are talking about, you learn by doing and can't sit back and analyze it on the chalkboard in class. And, since it appears that you won't have a chance to march in DCI, if there are any all age corps in your area I suggest you perhaps check them out for membership in the future.

P.S. Under certain circumstances (when is the age cutoff again?) you can march at age 22, so you should look into that as well.

Ouch. I have been beaten into a pulp. Probably shouldnt have said anything about my band. Here is a video of us 2 years ago at about 2 weeks of cleaning -
I am saying that show could have been very clean in 3 full weeks (10 hours a day) of cleaning. Thats all I was trying to say.

I would LOVE to march drum corps more than anything int his world pretty much. However I am of the LDS faith, and serving a Mission from 19-21 the exact years that I would be able to march, and therefore unable to do so. How I would love DCI to raise the age to 23. Anyway, thanks for the read, I guess I am just completely and totally arrogant.

I'm confused. The video title claims "October, 2008"

Why only 2 weeks of cleaning? Did school start October 1st? That looks like what I would expect a decent band program to be in October. If that could be scoring 85 at a DCI show in another week, I want to meet your director. They are the best director in the world and I would enjoy learning from them.

The first 30 seconds of that video were visibly dirty. My guess is that the OP simply doesn't have a conception of what it means to be "clean" at the DCI level. There were interval issues, posture issues, foot timing issues, musical issues, etc. and this was within the first 30 seconds of the video. It's hard to understand exactly what "clean" means without having gone through the process of cleaning, though. So for that, I think the OP definitely gets a pass. I'm sure for many of us, marching DCI ruined watching anything but DCI - especially as it concerns feet. I only ever watch feet now...

The first 30 seconds of that video were visibly dirty. My guess is that the OP simply doesn't have a conception of what it means to be "clean" at the DCI level. There were interval issues, posture issues, foot timing issues, musical issues, etc. and this was within the first 30 seconds of the video. It's hard to understand exactly what "clean" means without having gone through the process of cleaning, though. So for that, I think the OP definitely gets a pass. I'm sure for many of us, marching DCI ruined watching anything but DCI - especially as it concerns feet. I only ever watch feet now...

This is exactly what's going on. -- "clean" meter calibration. Unfortunately the meter is self-calibrating -- the tolerance can only be adjusted through direct exposure to more -- shall we say -- 'demanding' individuals :mat:

haha. i used to compete against davis and beyer eons ago.

what would i give to have middle school band programs like in nor cal around here...makes such a huge difference for high school field show cleaning.

good stuff from your band, op. i'd bet that most dci corps could have that drill much cleaner than that with the same amount of time your band had, though.

I thought the same thing. Also, the demand/exposure to error is pretty low. The show doesn't really even compare with a DCI show crica 1985 much less the modern era. On the other hand, it was a decent band program though. Light years ahead of what I did in my 'show' hs band.

Clean relative to marching band's standards. If we were to rehearse for 3 weeks straight, we would be one of the cleanest bands at our super regional BoA competition. You guys are overanalyzing what I am trying to say. The only person that has truly answered my question about why corps are somewhat dirty the first few weeks of tour was the gentleman who said that programs still are not set in stone until the end of June, and therefore take time to get what the directors want it to be.

All I was asking was why it takes longer than I expected to get the programs clean. I didnt take into consideration drill changes during pre tour, and I thought that the show concept was conceptualized and ready to be set in stone by the end of may.

And about my comment about BoA, I have not been to grand nationals, my experience is based exclusively off of the 3 years I attended the aforementioned regional competition. The judges every year we were there awarded the bands that were clean and had easy programs. It got to the point where there was huge upsets in the audience because of what the judges were saying. That panel that was used for those several years was actually (according to my band director and information that he found, I have not verified this) removed because of the bias that they had toward certain groups. This year was much better, and the judging seemed objective and fair.

I was arrogant in my comment about the BoA organization in the fact that I did not take into consideration the other regional competitions, nationals, and everything else BoA does. I based it exclusively off of my experience.

Thanks to everyone's comments I totally wanted to audition for Blue Knights this year but the mission is more important, and I will be leaving in July. Thanks for all of your time.