Why are corps so dirty the first few weeks of tour?

The way I try to treat drum corps is very simple.

Step 1: Go to rehearsal.

Step 2: Rehearse until they tell you to stop.

Step 3: Eat and/or sleep until the next block begins.

Step 4: Return to Step 1.

It might seem like it would make it worse to lose track of time during rehearsal, but trust me, it makes it so much better.

I VERY rarely looked/cared about times of blocks. When I marched drum corps time was all about "go from Block A till lunch, then Block B, then dinner/show-prep, then bus to show, then warm-up, then show, then hang out till we load up, then sleep, then wake. Repeat." I agree that it's MUCH more enjoyable to forget about watches (except on free days and/or post-show free time, if any) for the most part.

As for conditioning, being in shape doesn't hurt at all and will only help. But really, you have to 'teach' your body how to deal with the very specific needs of drum corps life, and the only way to do that is to just do it. If you're motivated enough to stick through the pain and frustrations, and to push yourself when you know it would be easier to quit, then you'll be fine. For me, the thrill of performing trumped EVERYTHING, and I got through the seemingly endless grind of rehearsal days by remembering how much I loved wearing the uniform and performing.

mellophone is heavier than trumpet but not a heavier instrument. all instruments eventually put strain on your back tho and your back will start to hurt. its just baris and euphs are allowed to complain...

As a percussionist, I should warn you that tenor and bass drummers (especially bottom bass drummers) might have a bit of room to complain.

But of course, percussionists aren't whiney sissies... :mat:

:mat:

I'd add that the difficulty of the show is probably the most obvious answer to that question

Looks at our show last year at blue stars, yep

As a percussionist, I should warn you that tenor and bass drummers (especially bottom bass drummers) might have a bit of room to complain.

But of course, percussionists aren't whiney sissies... :mat:

:mat:

Anyone that marches a baritone or higher horn should not complain, as well as any snare or bass drum under 26". Unless they want to get dirty looks from the euphs, tubas, low basses and quads...

I VERY rarely looked/cared about times of blocks. When I marched drum corps time was all about "go from Block A till lunch, then Block B, then dinner/show-prep, then bus to show, then warm-up, then show, then hang out till we load up, then sleep, then wake. Repeat." I agree that it's MUCH more enjoyable to forget about watches (except on free days and/or post-show free time, if any) for the most part.

This.

Haha I can't stand when people say the time! Even without a watch, I can usually determine how much longer the block will be by how hungry I am.

And for the OP...I have marched with LDS people, so I totally understand your situation. Make sure to see if you will get that bonus year. We can all sit here and tell you our opinions, but I would love for you to have the chance to see for yourself. I promise it will be the greatest experience of your life.

mellophone is heavier than trumpet but not a heavier instrument. all instruments eventually put strain on your back tho and your back will start to hurt. its just baris and euphs are allowed to complain...

Yeah, but Baris and Euph players are just sick bastichs anyway who don't know when to stop the pain. :mat:

Thus sayeth the 53 year old who can't wait for next year..... :mat:

My only suggestion it to learn to and embrace sleeping on the bus. Because of my time in drum corps, I can sleep almost anywhere in almost any position. I may not be much fun on a long trip, but I am always well rested.

My only suggestion it to learn to and embrace sleeping on the bus. Because of my time in drum corps, I can sleep almost anywhere in almost any position. I may not be much fun on a long trip, but I am always well rested.

this!!! I officially can now sleep anywhere at anytime pretty much.