Why are corps so dirty the first few weeks of tour?

Contrary to what one might think, most corps are still in an experimental stage during moveins. It's rare when a corps shows up to moveins with a completely clear picture of the entire show. Hell, recent history shows it's practically impossible for SCV to get a clear picture by July. I've seen corps go on to the marching field, having learned drill THAT DAY.

IMO, you have it backwards. My question would be: How is it possible that corps teach such difficult drill in such a short amount time?

the first shows always feel strange too. nerves and putting on the uniform for a crowd for the first time is just a rush that takes a few shows to get over

the first shows always feel strange too. nerves and putting on the uniform for a crowd for the first time is just a rush that takes a few shows to get over

THIS ! FTW !

Ouch. I have been beaten into a pulp. Probably shouldnt have said anything about my band. Here is a video of us 2 years ago at about 2 weeks of cleaning -

I am saying that show could have been very clean in 3 full weeks (10 hours a day) of cleaning. Thats all I was trying to say.

I would LOVE to march drum corps more than anything int his world pretty much. However I am of the LDS faith, and serving a Mission from 19-21 the exact years that I would be able to march, and therefore unable to do so. How I would love DCI to raise the age to 23. Anyway, thanks for the read, I guess I am just completely and totally arrogant.

Q: "Why are corps so dirty the first few weeks of tour?"

A: After three weeks of everydays, I'm quite sure they all need a good washing! Ha!

*budump crash* :mat:

I've seen corps go on to the marching field, having learned drill THAT DAY.

Phantom '09 ... 50 pages in one day! Hooyeah...

Hey here's an idea!

Instead of all you guys being condescending ###holes to a KID, why don't you rep the activity you profess to love and try and encourage OP to march; or at least just explain things in less harsh terms.

Or did you start out knowing everything about drum corps ever? No? Didn't think so.

Another pathetic moment for DCP "fans".

There might be some "challenges" that we don't see with this kid.. But posting such a ridiculous idea and backing it with a goofy band video... well, do the math...

It's not just lesson in Drum Corps, but a lesson in life... The "THEY ARE ALL WINNERS" philosophy should be used on the very very young... or the challenged. He posted 2008 H.S. band, he is 25 years old(?) Viewed the 2002 show, (H.S. age maybe..) Not Clean. But some cool drill.

Here is his post from Nov 14th 2010... sounds like he knows what easy, so then I question why this thread was started... motive??

DCISUPERFAN:I enjoy marching band to a great degree. Not nearly as much as drum corps, but I still love marching band. However, I really dislike/almost hate the BoA organization. The judging system that they have in place sucks, they are expensive, and reward bands that have craploads of money. The judging system revolves directly around cleanness of programs. Nothing about innovation, difficulty, or anything. Just how clean the band is. So band programs become shorter and shorter and easier and easier so they can be as squeaky clean as possible for the judges. Its terrible.

Edited by Cop

There might be some "challenges" that we don't see with this kid.. But posting such a ridiculous idea and backing it with a goofy band video... well, do the math...

It's not just lesson in Drum Corps, but a lesson in life... The "THEY ARE ALL WINNERS" philosophy should be used on the very very young... or the challenged. He posted 2008 H.S. band, he is 25 years old(?) Viewed the 2002 show, (H.S. age maybe..) Not Clean. But some cool drill.

Here is his post from Nov 14th 2010... sounds like he knows what easy, so then I question why this thread was started... motive??

DCISUPERFAN:I enjoy marching band to a great degree. Not nearly as much as drum corps, but I still love marching band. However, I really dislike/almost hate the BoA organization. The judging system that they have in place sucks, they are expensive, and reward bands that have craploads of money. The judging system revolves directly around cleanness of programs. Nothing about innovation, difficulty, or anything. Just how clean the band is. So band programs become shorter and shorter and easier and easier so they can be as squeaky clean as possible for the judges. Its terrible.

Um, are we still talking about BOA? Because some of the top 12 GN finalists this year had some extremely difficult shows (Avon, Tarpon Springs, Carmel, etc...), and only really the top 3 were squeaky clean. Also, the system you just described sounds like a "tick" system. BOA rewards creativity, excellence, execution, and effect. Have you listened to a BOA judge's tape before?

Contrary to what one might think, most corps are still in an experimental stage during moveins. It's rare when a corps shows up to moveins with a completely clear picture of the entire show. Hell, recent history shows it's practically impossible for SCV to get a clear picture by July. I've seen corps go on to the marching field, having learned drill THAT DAY.

IMO, you have it backwards. My question would be: How is it possible that corps teach such difficult drill in such a short amount time?

"Experiment in Terror"?

I well remember "Way Back When", corps actually WOULD come out of the gate "Clean". Boston Crusaders, Blessed Sacrament, Chicago Cavaliers, Chicago Roayl Airs, Casper Troopers, and Garfield Cadets for the most part (And among others), almost always came "Off the Line" in MID MAY ready for the season. :mat:

They may not have been in "Nationals Form" that "Early", but the programs were complete, and the ranks filled. The

" Localness" of the corps of that era probably had a lot to do with it, (The winter "Standstills also kept the corps in better shape) as did the PENALTIES that the units could get for not having a complete show. :mat:

"Arcing Up" and honking through the last 4 minutes of the show just didn't happen. :spitting:

Elphaba

Ok, another comparison. Why do professional athletes (football and baseball come to mind) after a lengthy Preseason, still play sloppy at the beginning of a season? Nature of the beast. Beginning of the year jitters, rookies still learning to play at a new level, people still gelling together, and now playing at full speed. It pretty much applies across the board.

I would LOVE to march drum corps more than anything int his world pretty much. However I am of the LDS faith, and serving a Mission from 19-21 the exact years that I would be able to march, and therefore unable to do so. How I would love DCI to raise the age to 23. Anyway, thanks for the read, I guess I am just completely and totally arrogant.

Don't forget All Age corps if you are near one after you're done with your mission work. And I'd say you're "less than knowledgable" about DCI than arrogant.

Kinda agree with Bruckner about shows being overly complex hindering start of he season. First exhibition show in years I saw was Cadets in 2003(?) and show was incomplete due to lot of rain during the camps. Few years later show still incomplete but good weather and now "just not ready yet" was the reason.

And don't forget returning members of a band know the marching style and guessing have played the music together before drill practice starts. That helps a band but not sure that applies with a DCI corps.

And know where elphaba01 is coming from. When I started we were almost all local and started drill soon as the snow all melted (maybe) and start of show drill was written. Had the show down pretty much by first show (Memorial Day) with a few college or new members trying to get things down. By the time I left after 79, we had a lot of long distance members and had to hold once a month weekend camps to get everything down. One year we had a lot of rain those weekends and we were doen with the whole show, it was horrible in some spots. :mat: