Why are corps so dirty the first few weeks of tour?

Clean relative to marching band's standards. If we were to rehearse for 3 weeks straight, we would be one of the cleanest bands at our super regional BoA competition. You guys are overanalyzing what I am trying to say. The only person that has truly answered my question about why corps are somewhat dirty the first few weeks of tour was the gentleman who said that programs still are not set in stone until the end of June, and therefore take time to get what the directors want it to be.

All I was asking was why it takes longer than I expected to get the programs clean. I didnt take into consideration drill changes during pre tour, and I thought that the show concept was conceptualized and ready to be set in stone by the end of may.

And about my comment about BoA, I have not been to grand nationals, my experience is based exclusively off of the 3 years I attended the aforementioned regional competition. The judges every year we were there awarded the bands that were clean and had easy programs. It got to the point where there was huge upsets in the audience because of what the judges were saying. That panel that was used for those several years was actually (according to my band director and information that he found, I have not verified this) removed because of the bias that they had toward certain groups. This year was much better, and the judging seemed objective and fair.

I was arrogant in my comment about the BoA organization in the fact that I did not take into consideration the other regional competitions, nationals, and everything else BoA does. I based it exclusively off of my experience.

Thanks to everyone's comments I totally wanted to audition for Blue Knights this year but the mission is more important, and I will be leaving in July. Thanks for all of your time.

...Really? The only individual that you found helpful was the one who validated your points?

Here's the REAL answer (and I doubt anyone will disagree): It takes longer for corps to get "clean" than you expected because your expectations aren't rooted in realistic experience. In other words, they aren't "clean" because your expectations are wrong.

I expect corps to be clean at their first show out of the gate. They have ALL that time to work in spring training! They should totally be scoring higher out of the gate.

See, I can say that and someone can validate it but it's a dumb expectation to have.

I watched the first 30 seconds of the video too.

And now I think the problem with drum corps not being clean is that they don't have those sweet bando salutes at the start of their shows.

But you can tell those drum majors have been through corpsesque breathing blocks. They aren't even phased by the 10 yard dash to the podium! Wait...That would mean marching bands do breathing blocks.

OP, if your band has never done a breathing block, you have not done "corpsesque" rehearsals. And let's not even get started on tracking blocks...

We have done both... And thanks for the heavy sarcasm and condescending attitude. We would do track blocks for hours at a time, and breathing blocks every rehearsal for at least 20 minutes.

I dont know why you are acting so high and mighty. I love DCI in a way that can only be described as a passion. I love marching music and I love how it affects youth and the audience, but I do not appreciate your comments. I have not (or at least tried not to, and if I have I am completely sorry) acted like a snot nosed punk saying "OMG Drum Corps so dirty first few weeks, they suck so hard until end of July!!!!111" I just was asking a question and you proceeded to act like you were the most knowledgeable and high and mighty person in the world.

Not needed....

The reasons corps are so dirty is this:

- NOBODY has their full show on the field in those first few weeks. The staff has planned out where in the season to make changes, additions, and production moments (visuals, story telling, etc...).

- While corps have winter camps and nearly a full month of rehearsal, music is constantly changing and it takes many weeks to fully teach in depth marching technique, playing technique, etc...

- The average drum corps show is much more difficult and longer than the average marching band show. As a result, it takes longer to clean because there is difficult stuff, and there is more of it so it literally takes about two months to clean and polish

I hope this helps. Now before some super-vet comes in here and tries to say I don't know what I'm talking about because of my username indicating I'm 'just a fan.' I have marched before.

Edited by DCIfan90

We have done both... And thanks for the heavy sarcasm and condescending attitude. We would do track blocks for hours at a time, and breathing blocks every rehearsal for at least 20 minutes.

I dont know why you are acting so high and mighty. I love DCI in a way that can only be described as a passion. I love marching music and I love how it affects youth and the audience, but I do not appreciate your comments. I have not (or at least tried not to, and if I have I am completely sorry) acted like a snot nosed punk saying "OMG Drum Corps so dirty first few weeks, they suck so hard until end of July!!!!111" I just was asking a question and you proceeded to act like you were the most knowledgeable and high and mighty person in the world.

Not needed....

Doesn't sound like best-practice rehearsal technique. :mat:

I know very, very little compared to a great many posters here. I did not act as though my personal knowledge or experience eclipsed all others "in the world."

But you can tell those drum majors have been through corpsesque breathing blocks. They aren't even phased by the 10 yard dash to the podium! Wait...That would mean marching bands do breathing blocks.

OP, if your band has never done a breathing block, you have not done "corpsesque" rehearsals. And let's not even get started on tracking blocks...

did both both too :mat: Edited by Impuls!vebari

Not needed....

at first glance it comes off as trolling...

you probably offended people calling what they do "dirty" which is another way to say its "bad" after they've already put hundreds of hours into perfecting their show. thats the main reason you're getting flamed.

also

i've marched 2 corps, one we did breathing blocks routinely and tracked occasionally for extended lengths of time.

the other corps, we would "track" (technically it could be considered tracking) occasionally in our sub sectionals during everydays but nothing extensive, 3-4 reps. we also did not do any breathing blocks.

now you tell me which the "better" corps (at least what the judges thought) was after the first show.