What kind of a trumpet is this?

Lincoln

I was watching the video below and saw that the orchestra was playing trumpets that looked like this:

jouko_harjanne.jpg

I've never seen this before. Does anyone know anything about them?

Here is the video of the orchestra with them:

Orchestra

Side Note: I've never seen that conducting "style" before either.

Its a rotary trumpet, it has vavlves like a french horn. They are common in a number of standard orchestral pieces. They also are often in A or C in addition to Bb. I have one in Bb in my closet

rotary trumpets are more in the european tradition......and still used quite extensively in Germany and many of the nordic countries, although, not seen generally in the UK.......

I was watching the video below and saw that the orchestra was playing trumpets that looked like this:

jouko_harjanne.jpg

I've never seen this before. Does anyone know anything about them?

Here is the video of the orchestra with them:

Orchestra

Side Note: I've never seen that conducting "style" before either.

From what I understand, they're still cylindrical, but usually with a much smaller bore size. This article is great:

http://www.aswltd.com/rotary.htm

I may be mistaken, but the signature difference is that they're conical...as opposed to cylindrical, like a piston trumpet...

It offers the opportunity for more more warmth and depth of tone than a standard horn -

I believe they are cylindrical, just as in a normal trumpet. BUT, there is a store nearby that has a rotary-valve fluegelhorn that I have my eye on! :satisfied:

I may be mistaken, but the signature difference is that they're conical...as opposed to cylindrical, like a piston trumpet...

It offers the opportunity for more more warmth and depth of tone than a standard horn -

A local university here in my area used to use a matched set of European made conical-bore rotary valve instruments in their wind ensemble. The director (who was very knowledgeable brass pedagogue type of guy) referred to them as cornets, which would be in keeping with the conical bore construction and the early 20th century American wind band tradition of using cornets as the upper brass voice. They've since changed conductors; not sure whether they're still using those horns or if they've gone to a standard Bb trumpet.

And as to whether there are actually any cylindrical-bore rotary valve "trumpets" out there, I couldn't say. Anybody?

peace,

Fred O.

Rotary TRUMPETS are indeed cylindrical. Historical American brass instruments fit more neatly into the cornet/bugle family and are sometimes conical.

The German-wrap rotary trumpet has a very short leadpipe going directly to the valve block. The tuning slide is located between the valves and the bell.

The more familiar French-wrap piston trumpet has a much longer leadpipe, then the tuning slide is located in the airway before the valves.