Spirit Preview... a few quick notes

Well, just got home from the 4 hour trip to Jacksonville, AL to see Spirit's dress run through. Since it's WAAAAY too late to talk sensefully, I'l just throw out a few impressions and do a full "review" tomorrow when I'm concious.

Spirit is OMG LOUD.

Guard unis can best be described as some kind of "dark side" leftover from like 1988. Black spandex with a "shimmery" light blue delta on the front. One of my kids said it reminded her of a huge necktie. More comments when concious.

Music is substantial. Nutville is going to be sweet.

For the sentimentalists out there, at the end of October, they have a pit member grab a horn and come on the field........in a vintage 1980 SOA uni.......while another horn player plays the final tag to Let it Be Me backfield......Folks, when this gets all the kinks worked out.........could be some tears.......gonna be sweet!!!

General observations:

There must be something about getting that finals monkey off their back that has done something for this corps......they had a confident presence on the field. You could feel it.......very cool.

Drill is definitely better than the past, but execution was rough...........really rough at times. Quite a few pics never resolved........However, the field was rough, to say the least. Another southern deluge came through earlier and the area between the 40's from the sidelines to the front hash was a pig stye. Wish the field had been drier (water was standing). Kudos to Spirit for attacking the field.

Horn book is gonna be sweet........a lotta notes. Most notably, the mellos are a lot more in tune.

Guard is not my forte, and I know they were slinging waterlogged silks, but at times it was ugly.... some clarity issues also between guard/corps staging in a few spots.

Percussion was really hard to get a feel for, since performing in a mostly empty enclosed concrete stadium. Sorry.

Did I mention that the brass line is LOUD?

General impression: This show is going to SMOKE. I really think the traditionalist/"old timers" (which I consider myself one) will eat this show up. Like I said, most notably, the brass have made some incredible jumps from the beginning of last season (as compared to the beginning of last season....punch drunk). For the first time since 1986, Spirit sounds like "old" Spirit. Thanks guys. My first taste of the 2003 season and I can say I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you as many times as I can this summer.

For the sentimentalists out there, at the end of October, they have a pit member grab a horn and come on the field........in a vintage 1980 SOA uni.......while another horn player plays the final tag to Let it Be Me backfield......Folks, when this gets all the kinks worked out.........could be some tears.......gonna be sweet!!!

just to clarify, it is Matt Burns, our third DM, that steps out on the field with the 80 uni

I can't wait to see the show!!!!!