2011 World Class Repertoires

Actually wouldn't a trombone technically fit the rules. Bell Front, any key, 3 or less valves. sounds like unless trombones are specifically called out as something you can't use I would think it would fall in the acceptable instrumentation list, although I would hate to see trombones on the field. They just don't work well in the marching venue.

I think the slide rules out a trombone. Besides, there used to be tromboniums, which fell out of favor. Why not just use on of them?

And sousaphones, I'm not sure about them.

Edited by jjeffeory

Charlie1223, that's a pretty polarizing statement.

I've listened to all three parts of this piece. As a euphonium major, there are a few parts in the third file that couldn't be played exactly on a baritone or euph. Trombones aren't legal in drum corps. Are you trying to be a button pusher again? tongue.gif

A couple of glisses, no biggie. No need to change yet another rule for that.

Button pusher? polarizing? What are you talking about...? That's not what I am or what I was doing...

Even if you CAN play that on a baritone or euph, the attitude of playing a part like that on trombone can't be matched imo. If having a trombone on the field is controversial so help me god...

Well, just listened to the Trombone Concerto and wow..... if Bluecoats do justice to this, as they did to Asphalt Cocktail, I can not wait! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Charlie1223, that's a pretty polarizing statement.

I've listened to all three parts of this piece. As a euphonium major, there are a few parts in the third file that couldn't be played exactly on a baritone or euph. Trombones aren't legal in drum corps. Are you trying to be a button pusher again? tongue.gif

A couple of glisses, no biggie. No need to change yet another rule for that.

As a brass instrument, I don't think a trombone soloist would be that radical for a drum corps. Personally, I think it'd be awesome if they did, but even a bari or euph player getting that kind of significant role as a soloist would be cool to see.

• Like 1

Button pusher? polarizing? What are you talking about...? That's not what I am or what I was doing...

Even if you CAN play that on a baritone or euph, the attitude of playing a part like that on trombone can't be matched imo. If having a trombone on the field is controversial so help me god...

Obviously a trombone on the field at a drum and bugle corps show IS a very controversial subject. So, if you don't understand that, there's a problem.

I'm really not willing to get into a discussion about something so obvious and so talked about over the years.

Besides, baritone players have to play trombone parts all of the time. We learn to read several clefs.

Valved trombone?

Link

Yes, they're called tromboniums. They used to be some around in DC and marching band ( where I played one a while back). Of course, the two models that I played looked more like large trumpets or small baritone, bell front horns. There was no slide to be seen.

Edited by jjeffeory

Obviously a trombone on the field at a drum and bugle corps show IS a very controversial subject. So, if you don't understand that, there's a problem.

I'm really not willing to get into a discussion about something so obvious and so talked about over the years.

Besides, baritone players have to play trombone parts all of the time. We learn to read several clefs.

This seems touchy for you, I see. So I won't ask.