Auditions?

Im one of those old dinosaurs that marched in the 70's and learned how to play a horn and march in my corps. We never had any auditions of any type to join our corps. When did auditions to corps begin versus corps taking members and teaching them how to play and march?

Dicsuss

Scott Anderson

Cranford Patriots Soprano

Many, many moons ago

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, an oboist, was a bari rookie with BAC in '91. I had a "placement audition"just to see if I had some clue. I'd just taken my brass methods class in college; having played bari, trumpet, and trombone, so I had some clue of a buzz. That "audition" is nothing like the ones for Boston these days.

That's a good question... A lot of us old school db folks-heck are corps just wanted more kids that would/could march.

Auditions really became a necessity for some of the corps due to the sheer number of people wanting to march only the top corps. As the total number of corps has dropped, the number of auditionees has skyrocketed at these top-level corps. Now you have a corps like Blue Stars getting 170+ brass at their first camp, or Cavaliers with 200 potential brass and percussion at their second location camp of the year (had one in TX and one in IL).

When a new guy came in, I'd take him to the equipment room. I'd give him a bugle (and show him how to hold it if he was a bando).

Then I'd tell him to warm up a bit, and I'd leave the room.

Listening from the other side of the door, I could find out all I needed to know about his playing.

That was the only "audition" a kid ever got from me.

When a new guy came in, I'd take him to the equipment room. I'd give him a bugle (and show him how to hold it if he was a bando).

Listening from the other side of the door, I could find out all I needed to know about his playing.

You always came out of a Kiltie horn rehearsal a better player too. :tongue:

I don't remember any auditions either. The policy was pretty simple. Anyone was welcomed to join as long as they were willing to do what everyone else did.

Im one of those old dinosaurs that marched in the 70's and learned how to play a horn and march in my corps. We never had any auditions of any type to join our corps. When did auditions to corps begin versus corps taking members and teaching them how to play and march?

Dicsuss

Scott Anderson

Cranford Patriots Soprano

Many, many moons ago

I think it depends on the section. When I marched in 79 I had to audition for the snare line, but I do not think there was any auditions for the brass section. My guess is there was almost always an audition for the snare line. And maybe the rifle line.

Same in the Bpt. PAL ... but ... at some point closer to the season's start, there were "cuts", where weaker players were kind of put on a "taxi squad" (like football) and make "substitues" ... those players still rehearsed with the main corps amd marched parades/exhibitions - just not contests until they were ready ...

:-)

When I marched in the St. Ritas Brassmen, any new drummer had to audition in front of Eric Perrilouix. I also remember each of us snare drummers having to break down a roll for him to critique on a regular basis, he had a very exacting way that you were expected to play. That being said, there was always room somewhere within the section for anyone who was willing to do the work.